Yellow material in nest box - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StFreed18, Jun 18, 2019.

1. StFreed18

StFreed18 In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2018
    Anyone have any ideas for what this yellow material found in the nest box means? I am guessing it's sourced from my bantam cochin, who has not laid in several days. She's walking around fine and seems active. No one is acting lethargic and there were no egg shells. Everyone's vent looks relatively normal with one girl having dirty feathers below vent, but nothing yellow. Help!

Attached Files:

2. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Someone laid a soft shelled egg and someone ate the whole thing. Look for the hen with egg on her face/comb to at least find out who ate it!

CindyinSD, StFreed18 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    How old is Little Miss Dirty Vent?
    If shes just coming of laying age, she could be laying soft shell/shelless or rubber eggs. That one pic looks like yolk and membrane, but no shell.
    I had a girl do that stuff for a week before she finally got it all ironed out. Once her body got with the program, she was good for an egg per day!
    Good luck!

StFreed18, PotatoHead and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. RustyBucketFarmGirl

RustyBucketFarmGirl Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Ohio
    Looks like yolk! I am guessing there has been some egg breakage. Could be rubber shelled but by girls have put their claw through the side before. And once it’s open it doesn’t last long!

What do you feed them?

StFreed18, Wyorp Rock and EggWalrus like this.
  5. StFreed18

StFreed18 In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2018
    TMI, but thank you for bearing with me... upon further inspection I did see that the 1yr bantam who has not laid eggs in nearly 5 days had a little bit of the same yellow color on her vent [picture attached].

Given that my bearded and light feathered hens have no sign of messiness around their beak from egg eating [and I would expect to see something], I believe this was directly deposited from our bantam's vent. Spoke with my partner and apparently this happened once before and she has laid eggs since. Still unsure if there's some kind of intervention I should consider. They all seem active and to be behaving normally.

Thank you for your input!

Attached Files:

6. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I don’t know if you can extrapolate that from what I can see in the picture.
    Keep an eye open. It happens.
    Good layer food, Keep treats to a minimum, low stress, keep the hens cool, access to extra calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: