Yellow Muscovy?

Cassandragrenr

Songster
Jul 15, 2022
Sweden, södermanland
My Muscovy drakes have been yellow for a while, they never bathe due to wet feather and even before that they never went swimming. (we have a pond outside which they can go to anytime and a pool inside) But it wont come off, I've even bathed them in my bathtub but no matter what it stays.
Does anyone know why or what it is? :( ❤️
Snapchat-1110121495.jpg
Snapchat-380840964.jpg

My Muscovy drakes have been yellow for a while, they never bathe due to wet feather and even before that they never went swimming. (we have a pond outside which they can go to anytime and a pool inside) But it wont come off, I've even bathed them in my bathtub but no matter what it stays.
Does anyone know why or what it is? :( ❤️
View attachment 3188626View attachment 3188627
This makes me sound like a bad bird mama since I post so much about them, these are my grandmas and she takes care of them most of the time.
I live half of my time in the city, other half on the farm.
She doesn't notice any sickness or anything wrong with them, so they've sadly been like this for a while

p.s my grandma is a wonderful woman, I swear. She's just not educated about illnesses or behaviors

I’m guessing that it’s oil from his uropygial gland? If he was bathing regularly and preening, it would be evenly spread over his feathers and it would assist in making him waterproof.

Treats and corn are considered a treat since it really doesn't have much nutritional value and should only be 10% of their daily diet. Cut it back and see if it makes a difference after they have their big milt in fall. That is when they will get their new feathers and you'll be able to tell if it's the corn.

Last edited:
I have a muscovy drake -- and a pekin drake -- who wont bathe. I really don't understand why not. The pekin will go into the wading pool, or a tub, if I put him in there and start to rub water into his dirty undercarriage. But the Muscovy just will not stay in water, struggles and gets out immediately. The only way to get the muscovy clean is to hose him down every few days. He doesn't like it but at least he is less stinky after a good drenching with the hose. His wing feathers have long since ceased to be white, and his white neck and chest is often yellow ore even brown: I can see where he has dribbled his ducky soup down his front.
I suspect, Cassandragrenr, that your drakes are like mine: averse to bathing!! Little stinkers!!

Treats and corn are considered a treat since it really doesn't have much nutritional value and should only be 10% of their daily diet. Cut it back and see if it makes a difference after they have their big milt in fall. That is when they will get their new feathers and you'll be abler to tell if it's the corn.
Haha what would I do without you 😅😅 thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom