Yellow on coop wall - egg yolk?

Prairiegrl

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2017
1/2 of my girls started laying 3 weeks ago, all eggs have been in the nesting boxes. Found this on the coop wall behind the roosting bars this morning. The girls are usually free range but we're kept in the coop yesterday because of 110K winds. Is it a broken egg? Do chickens lay when on roosting bars? I am so confused!!! I posted a pic. I am new to here and hoping someone can help! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 32
Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya New layers can do some pretty strange things. Did you find any broken shell? Some new layers will lay shellless eggs or rubbery eggs. Some times the egg will stick to the hen's feathers and drops off when jarred. To me it looks like yolk but could also be cecal poop.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya New layers can do some pretty strange things. Did you find any broken shell? Some new layers will lay shellless eggs or rubbery eggs. Some times the egg will stick to the hen's feathers and drops off when jarred. To me it looks like yolk but could also be cecal poop.

Yes, I am pretty sure it is yolk (matches the colour of yolks we've been getting) I did have one shell less egg last week. Never thought about it staying stuck on feathers than jarring - that makes sense! Just seemed like such an odd place. There is space between the roosting bar and wall that thier bums don't rub up against it.

Does look like yolk. You had 110 k winds? Is that in Knots or KM? Is that as fast as I think it is? Either one is down right windy. In that kind of wind that egg might have been slammed against the wall! Often when an egg is broken the hen will eat the shell and the yolk and you will see the remaining yolk drippings---usually on the floor. Though if the egg was kicked aside it might have shattered against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom