YELLOW POOP/LABOURED BREATHING WHAT DOES IT MEAN SEE PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redneckbarbiee, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Redneckbarbiee

Redneckbarbiee In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    My australorp hen is barley eating, breathing heavy, and having yellow poop. She has not laid. I checked her vent but feel nothing. I have used a syringe multiple times since yesterday to give her medicated wormer and antibiotics. I have also soaked her in warm water twice for over 10 minutes. Her comb is normal color. She is laying down more often now. Help!!

Attached Files:

2. galean

galean In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    I just came home to same problem. My 1 year old bsl is lethargic, and labored breathing, and runny yellow dirreah. No egg inside. Any ideas?

3. Redneckbarbiee

Apr 4, 2018

Attached Files:

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If
    How long has it been since she laid an egg? Have any eggs been rubbery or thin shelled lately? The yellow material in her droppings could possibly be egg material or sometimes E.coli bacteria can cause it. Internal layers or hens suffering from egg yolk peritonitis can be lethargic, have runny poops, a poor appetite, and may separate themselves or lie around a lot. These things happen a lot in older hens 2 and up.

casportpony likes this.
  5. Redneckbarbiee

Apr 4, 2018
    Is there a way to help if it is egg material?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has internal laying she may get better for a time, but eventually it may kill her. Do you have a vet who might check a sample of her droppings for coccidiosis, bacteria, and worms? Do you know how long since she has laid an egg? Some people treat antibiotics which usually come from a vet, but they may or may not help.

7. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings Redneckbarbiee,

Your girl is very ill, her poops show liver stress. That is why the urate is yellow instead of white. The good news is that she has some bulk to the poop, indicating that she is eating, some. However, she could stop eating at any time if the infection causing the liver stress and labored breathing is not treated.

She may have congested lungs, sometimes these infections don't go into the upper respiratory system (sinuses, eyes), and the chicken may not even wheeze or cough. But, if you wrap her in a towel and sit her on your lap, move her up and down while listening to her breath, you may be able to hear the congestion. This is just one possible cause to her illness.

Another possibility, is internal egg laying which, can result in egg peritonitis, and can be fatal. The poop would be almost entirely yellow to orange poop, like yolk. This condition can be treated, but requires a good broad spectrum antibiotic, preferably injected intramuscularly. And, must be caught early in the disease; surgery may be needed if in advanced stage.

The fact is, there are many bacteria or even viruses that can be causing the illness, so a comprehensive treatment plan is better than just one treatment. Only a vet can test for the exact cause. But, you can try to treat the hen yourself. A broad spectrum antibiotic is good for bacterial infections, and if it is a virus, the antibiotic will protect the hen from secondary infection, which is common. Then, the hen's immune system will be able to focus on the virus.

If she were my hen, and I could not take her to see a vet, I would do the following:
    • Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic, IM injection, once daily, 10 days.
    • To support the liver, administer, "Liquid Hepato for Pets", .3 mL orally, every 12 hours, 10 days.
    • Electrolytes in the water for the first three days.
    • Keep her in a mildly warm environment.
    • Keep her well fed. If she has low appetite, try putting some layer mash into a small bowl, then set the bowl in front of the hen. Pour some water or electrolyte solution, into the mash, just a little, at a time. The hen's instinct should be to start drinking the water, and hopefully nibble on the mash, too. I don't know why, but chickens just love to drink up regurgitated water from themselves or other chickens. Anyways, this trick usually works for many of my sick hens that won't eat.

Once the hen is eating, feed her a variety of things. Cooked grains, oat groats, brown rice, wheat berries, etc. a bit of meat protein, cooked egg, diced tofu, etc. cooked frozen vegies or fresh chopped greens, unsweetened coconut chips and some diced fruit, diced, dark grapes are often appreciated. Put a little of each thing in a shallow bowl for the hen, hopefully there will be something she likes.

If you can keep her eating and drinking, she'll have a better chance of recovery. In the afternoon, if it is warm outside, and the hen is able to walk, you can put her out to get some supervised exercise for an hour or two. You will have to judge whether the hen can handle exercise or not. If she is sleepy, you can wrap her in a towel and cradle her on your lap. Just spend a little time with her, talk or sing to her softly, stroke her gently. Chickens respond better when they are bonded to the keeper. I also play soft music, for a few hours a day, it seems to soothe the sick chicken.

When a hen is this sick, you may not see much improvement till day 4 or 5. And, it may take longer, if you use oral antibiotic, instead of IM injection. Just be consistent in the treatment you choose to do, and hopefully the hen will heal.

Here is the Liquid Hepato for liver support. It contains Milk Thistle, and B vitamins. Good to keep in the chicken medical kit.

liquid hepato.jpg

These are my thoughts on you hen's illness, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless :)

tootmany likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Redneckbarbiee, what antibiotic are you using and what dosage? Since you wormed and also are treating with the AB, probiotics can be helpful during and after antbiotics. Many chicken feeds have probiotics now, but if not you can buy commercial ones in packets for animals at TSC. I use plain yogurt 1 tsp daily mixed into feed with a little water.

Internal laying and EYP are common illnesses in laying hens, especially hens over 2. We don’t know for sure, but the yellow egg looking droppings is a sign. Give chopped cooked egg, chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, or chopped liver, rinsed tuna, or mealworms for extra protein. Make her comfortable, and watch to see that she doesn’t get picked. If she is more comfortable with remaining with her flock, she may eat better. Good luck.

9. Redneckbarbiee

Apr 4, 2018
    I purchased Tylan. I only really have time to administer this once a day. What dosage do you recommend orally?

10. Redneckbarbiee

Apr 4, 2018
    I cant remember the brand right now but I was using a packaged water soluable electrolyte and vitamin medicine with antibiotic in it. Also, I had save-a-chick on hand and used that too. Today at TS I got tylan and a stronger electrolyte & vitamin medicine for when I run out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: