Yellow poop - possible kidney dysfunction??

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
My hen has been on Trimeth sulfa for a week now to treat a respiratory infection. She was prescribed 2 week treatment by the vet. Her symptoms are all better - although she hasn’t laid an egg since she started getting sick about 2-3 weeks ago. I read that Trimeth sulfa can cause kidney dysfunction in chickens so I’ve been keeping an eye out. Starting last night, all her poops have had this goldish liquid in it, which I have never seen before. A quick google and I see that this could be a symptom of a kidney issue. I was hoping some of you experts could help me figure out what to do. Is this deadly?

Attachments

• B55AE7CE-6E1D-4AEF-8447-8C6FF95526DB.jpeg
    B55AE7CE-6E1D-4AEF-8447-8C6FF95526DB.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 40
Actually, this yellow color could be yellow urates due to a possible liver disorder. Liver disease can be common in chickens who have internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites, and other things that can affect the liver. Watch for more droppings with yellow rather than white urates.

Actually, this yellow color could be yellow urates due to a possible liver disorder. Liver disease can be common in chickens who have internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites, and other things that can affect the liver. Watch for more droppings with yellow rather than white urates.
she’s never had any issues with her eggs before. She’s 2.5 years old and lays very regularly usually. Do you think a liver issue could be a side effect from the meds? It’s very interesting timing. She has been pooping yellow all day. It’s not the normal brown poop with white cap. Is there anything I can do?

Back
Top Bottom