Yellow Poop, small crop and gushy.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wallygator1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. wallygator1

wallygator1 In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    I've read many threads so far and most are saying that there chickens have a large crop and are getting yellow poop. My chicken, has a small tiny crop that's feels empty. I tried feeding her some scratch and she didn't eat it. The poop I saw this morning was yellowish and whiteish and very runny.

From what I've read so far, it could be sour crop, or blackhead.

Please help!

I would like to know what's wrong with her and how I can treat it. Any help is well appriciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Can you post a picture of a typical poop? Try feeding her some finely chopped scrambled egg. Poops can change in appearance at different times of the day, depending on if it is a cecal poop. If she is young, she could have coccidiosis, and if she is 2 or older, she may be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Worms may also be a problem. She doesn't sound like she has a crop problem. You can have her stool checked for worms, including those that cause blackhead. It's more common in turkeys, but chickens can get it.

3. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding!

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    Yellow poop is *never* normal, but can be caused by more than just blackhead. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. wallygator1

Feb 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes I do realize the second one is white. But Thats the first white one we've seen so far. Shes gotten so much worse since the day started. Her head + tail are drooping and her wings are drooping aswell.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The white is the urates or urine and could be from drinking a lot if it is hot there. How old is she?

6. wallygator1

Feb 2, 2014
    Oh sorry, meant to answer that. She is 2 years old, and its been pretty cool the last couple days, 70-85 degrees.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    The top one looks like many I have seen here and definetly not normal. If mine poop like that I deworm with Safeguard and start them on Baytril and metronidazole. The bottom one looks like maybe she's dehydrated. When my birds drink a lot, or if I've tubed lots of fluids to them, it's clear, never white. Only time I have seen white is from dehydrated birds.

Can you tube fluids to her?

-Kathy

8. wallygator1

Feb 2, 2014
    I'll get her to drink water. I read somewhere else to add baking soda to the water. Would that be okay?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop

I would give her just water or Pedialyte. Keep in mind that a few sips isn't gonna help much, she probably needs at least 60ml if she's a full sized hen.

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she lay eggs any more? Have you ever noticed her laying soft eggs or eggs without a shell? How does her weight/breast bone feel, and is her belly swollen at all? Does she ever have poops that look like cooked eggs? I'm just wondering if he might have egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying, which can be somewhat common in hens over 2 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: