Yellow silkie rooster lost his human dad.

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Soularddave, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Soularddave

Soularddave New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    This is sad. My room mate died a few weeks ago. He was keeping a young chick in his[​IMG] room. Since then, she turned out to be a he. This is only a problem at 6:20am - so far.

I live in Downtown St. Louis, Mo., and can't inflict another rooster on my neighbors. Nor can I 'dispose' of him in an unkind manner. How do I rehome this impressive-looking bird?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - I am sorry about the loss of your roommate.
    Unfortunately, cockerels are harder to place than pullets - though being a silkie may work in his favor as they are heavily favored as pets and that may play into someone being willing to overlook the downsides of his gender. I wish you the best of luck in finding him a new home soon.

3. PeepersMomma

PeepersMomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    PA
    I am so sorry for your loss. I would happily take him and provide him with a wonderful home but, I live in PA. Would you be willing to ship him?

4. Soularddave

Soularddave New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    Thank you for you kind words and generous offer. I'm sure the little roo would love Pennsylvania as much as I have in the past. I know it's 900 miles to Lairdsville (another similar horrible story there). I'll investigate shipping live fowl, but to what City? I think it can be done in 24 hours, but by what carrier? I'm thinking, perhaps, to drive half way to shorten the time of being boxed up. As it stands, he does like his box in the kitchen. Please allow me a couple of days to check around.

Thank you

5. PeepersMomma

Aug 8, 2010
    PA
    I don't know the procedures for shipping and cost. I will wait to hear back from you.

6. Soularddave

Soularddave New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

To what city or zipcode would this guy be travelling?

7. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    If you ship to Indiana I'll take him

8. Soularddave

Soularddave New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    That sounds a lot easier & less stressful than the other kind offer. Actually, I'm more disposed to driving him there myself. Where are you, generally, like by zipcode?

9. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    47836 near rockville

10. PeepersMomma

Aug 8, 2010
    PA
    19506 is my zip code.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by