Yellow skin, Shriveled up crown, sick Ancona?! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IamMina, Oct 6, 2012.

1. IamMina

IamMina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Maine
    My Ancona, pocky has recently been looking and acting weird. I know it is fall and so she is molting but she's showing other odd signs other than feather loss. Her crown has suddenly shriveled up and developed a few black spots near the base. Her skin is very pale and her earlobes and face are somehow a bright bright yellow. Normally her skin around her face is red and her earlobes are white. She is normally very calm and will let me hold her without a problem but she is suddenly very protective. Should this worry me? Our second Ancona is not showing any of the same signs so I know its not part of the breed.
    Please get back to me if you can!
    Thank you
    -Mina

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I am not sure but I can see if a nudge will help u get some answers how is she now?

3. IamMina

Jul 8, 2012
    Maine
    She seems to be the same, I haven't seen any changes.

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    well if no one else can help ya I can at least help u research! are you sure all her symptoms are there ? How old is she and u got a pic?

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    can u rule out ...... Pox ?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox Avian Pox -
    How To Treat Your Chickens For Avian Pox

also see
    Warty Growths on Comb
    The appearance of warty growths or sores on the fleshy parts of a chicken's head is not usually a health risk that the producer should be concerned with. These lesions are produced as the bird's response to fowl pox virus injected by a mosquito. The condition appears more serious than it actually is. A scab forms as the bird develops a resistance to the viral disease organism. The bird will not usually show other effects to the disease and will recover within a short time unless complications arise.
    A more detailed discussion of fowl pox is included in http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm

http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/fowl-pox The Chicken Vet Talks About Fowl Pox

6. IamMina

Jul 8, 2012
    Maine
    Alright, I'll look into it thank you for the help!

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    sure thing, rule that out and we will keep looking, I have alot of links saved for heath issues

8. IamMina

Jul 8, 2012
    Maine
    Okay well I don't think that's it, she doesn't match a lot of the symptoms so I've looked into a lot of stuff about yellowed skin and one of the links talked about amenia? I think it was which is like worms.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    ok, you can easily treat for them....

I have yet to have issues, but I am a firm believer in using DE all the time, bedding little in food, dustbath and of course I do the ACV in water and pumpkins!!!

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh let me know what med u use and how its working.... I wonder if u can see them in the poop??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by