Yellow slightly frothy diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisaleedy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    Ok here I go again I had an out break of what I thought was a fungal or mold poisoning still might be but I don't know now I have in the past month wormed with safe guard goat wormer. then pig swig but stopped because someone said that was not a good thing to use so I wanted to do some research good thing because I was about to dose them for a week and it said one dose in water for one day with no other water sources. ok so worming should been well done or overdone. this was during our two foot of snow my birds wouldn't leave the coop without a lot of coaxing so I used hay on top of snow after removing what I could so that they would have an area to stand relatively wormer than snow. ok so four hens began with what seemed like a white green mix diarrhea on their butts it clung to the feathers and stunk bad the other signs came as pail come and wattles or face and dehydration to the ones that seemed weak and slow they didn't loose balance and some even eat well just didn't move as fast eggs have gone down but It could been the below zero weather that occurred several times. so I socked the soaked cat food and their layer mesh garlic diced and turmeric added the rooster booster to that and the water. two came out of it in two days and has cleared up one became more dehydrated and died the third or fourth day and one cleared up but has gotten sicker.. now her diarrhea is a white yellowish sometimes throathy that's if she eats a bite of something. I took her up and she drank a bit of water yesterday after a little coaxing but even would eat much bread her favorite!
    so if she is pail head and wattles is dry and shriveled.. dehydration.. weak and slow to move ..lethargic? has this diarrhea that went from a white watery green sticking to feathers to watery white and clear figure water went straight a yellow stuff now, yes stinky.

should I get some amoxicillin or because this I don't THINK is cocci... anyone know.. I cant figure out what kinds of sickness is taking all my birds! I keep em clean water keep it with a drop of Oxine and haven't changed foods on them.. looks like nothings molded there and the hay most has been done away with and now are able to free range more again. Im going to be getting 32 more birds they will be vaccinated for cocci and mareks maybe that will give them a fighting chance.. I cant imagine why sooo much problems on a farm that's not been used for much anything in 20 years.

okay any help would be helpful. thanks

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Foamy poop is usually a sign of a protozoa like coccidia or sometimes blackhead. Can you post a picture of the poop? How much Safeguard did you give them and did you give it orally?

-Kathy

3. lisaleedy

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    safeguard was oral and it was at 1.5ml one dose that was two hens that had problems before this started they were separated. I did the flock with pigswig and cant remember if that was before or after they were sick.[​IMG]I have to get samples for worms tomarrow.. and will have to ask if anyother tests can be done... if that's not too late for her. she wont drink much today at all unless forced and food she wont touch.

ill also have to get a feeding tube to from them I have nothing to use until then except droppers and syringe with point. ill work on poops she has now.
    I have a antibacterial and coccidiostat mix I got from vet will it sufice?? they don't do exams id have to send off a bird and all other testing besides worms.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you gave the wormer for one day you treated for cecal worms and roundworms, but not capillary worms. To treat those you need to give 0.23ml per pound for five days in a row.

A sick bird needs to be inside where it warm (80-85 degrees). Once warm, they need fluids at 15ml per pound, then again in 60-90 minutes, then again every 4-6 hours. Once hydrated you can tube food.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did the vet give you?

-Kathy

6. lisaleedy

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    antibacterial and coccidiostat mix [Albon Liquid/Sulfadimethoxine LA] I treated them with this.. I cant remember dose she had me give flock but the single dose is 2ml. for five days. I gave it before the snow set in and was on the Pig swig after giving a day or two of corn and cat food for proteins and fat and they were looking good before I spread they molded hay and I saw them ingest and two of them were the ones that had the other greenish white diarrhea that stuck to feathers and cleared up with the cat food and stuff for proteins and vitamins mixed.

7. lisaleedy

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    I have to go find a box to see if I can get a good picture of poop

8. lisaleedy

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    well as it would go I put her in a box to check poop and see if she expels more that I could get fresh and I guess my husband scared her to death or just moving her did it???? my hubby flipped a plastic grocery bag to open it up it was over her box that she was being quite in before hand he wasn't like right on top of her she was on floor and he was about a foot from her but she started flapping crazy and then still I told hubby then she is either dead or just resting... she was dead. now if I can find my cell anytime soon ill post poop anyway see what yall think and I have an old picture of her bun when she first had it and cleared up that Ill send. I just cant understand the mess of illness these birds have had that I cant pinpoint a cause there's so many [​IMG] well hopefully the necropsy and poop collections will give me will open up to what I can be doing to keep girls healthy and happy.

I have a hen that I think will need attention she is not showing any sign other than a slight irregular gait like loosing footing or uncoordinated foot and the lone chicken action though when others come around she doesn't cower away. shes eating and comb looks good but with the experience of loosing my girls its matter of time she will loos ability to stand then if I don't baby her with a swing and constant feedings and forced to eat she wont last long. problem with a swing and forced feedings they only lived for months before dyeing instead of weeks only one bird lived even with all that attention [​IMG]I was using Corid {amprolium] 9.6% solution. as only meds during those times with no improvements to show for it.

my vet didn't do anything for me during the summer months and not till this new lady came in the office did I have things like corid with an antibacterial mix the option for fecal tests and she offered to send off for necropsy at a good price. what they charge.
    something that concerns me.. I read someplace that cats are very bad at giving birds disease. we have three cats on the grounds and our family above us has a "cat house" no joke she takes in old and strays to live out their life in this small two room house. they cant get out side but have two porches that they are able to get outside and hang sun bath and play she dumps that cat litter in a pile behind the building about 110 yards from us at an angle above us on hill. now anytime it rains that would go down and meet up with a natural run off used as a ditch to direct it across road. could that be an issue??? though it has not rained much till this rain may not even be it! but I need answers.

9. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    [​IMG]
    This was what it started out like what the others had one died with two recovered and now one has died with reoccurring symptoms.
    This is what was in her box the paper soaked up most on bottom was dried poop she had expelled when I put her In the stick points to a tissue looking thing that also showed up on paper.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    they vet couldn't send the hen out till today and will be doing the poop smear today I guess they will call??? I hope they find something out! and something I can fix to keep my hens alive!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by