1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yellow snake with black stripe just killed one of my chicks in brooder

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 24, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    me and my mom were fixing to leave and i was walking over to check on them and i see one of the older chicks dead and i went to bury a hole i turn around and i see a snake half in and out of the wire im screaming for my mom "SNAKE!" im so mad right now cause i keep thinking what would have happened if i didnt check on them [​IMG]

2. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ohhh, I'm sorry. [​IMG] I would freak if I saw a snake near my birds.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    This is a yellow rat snake, aka 'chicken snake.' Did it look like this?
    [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Probably a yellow rat snake, (geez, dawg, give a little warning, willya? [​IMG] )

Not a poisonous snake, but well known for stealing eggs, killing chicks and apparently, eating rubber gloves. I have had to start keeping chicks in a hardware cloth cage until really big, because we have so many of them. They are of the constrictor family and have the ability to swallow things much larger than their head.
    We don't kill them because they are good to have around. We've never had a rat or mouse in the feed, thanks to them.

Sorry you lost your chick. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Yeah.. looks like a yellow rat snake to me..

If you have a local pet shop, some will buy them from you.. (depends on your state laws).. but sure wouldn't hurt to check around.

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss but it was a good thing you checked when you did! [​IMG]

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have enough room to mix in some guineas? They will kill snakes and everyone will help dispose of it.

8. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:THATS IT!!! Thats the SOB SNAKE I SAW!! My mom had the shotgun pointed at it and i had but down the door so none of them would get bitten again i was wondering why none of the chicks were up front but my mom was more mad than me she grabbed two shovels and CHOPPED him in half and now he is laying down on the dirt road for the vultures

9. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I <3 your mom lol, Id be pizzed too

10. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    WARNING DEAD SNAKE CHOPPED IN HALF PICTURE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]