Yellow Squash Pickles ***Pic Added***Recipe Reworked***

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, May 16, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have yellow squash coming out my ears, I'm freezing some for the winter but I was looking around for other recipes to use them up and came across this recipe. Has anyone ever made these? I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out.

***I finally got around to making the pickles and they are really good!!!! I added garlic and frozen carrots to the recipe and left out the green peppers...I also increased the sugar and vinegar to make up for the added ingredients. I didn't do the water bath I just filled one 1/2 gallon jar and two pints and stuck the whole thing in the frig. These won't last long enough to need a water bath. We finished off one of the pint jars at supper last night.

***This is the reworked recipe.
    YELLOW SQUASH PICKLES

Preparation time: 25 minutes. Standing time: 2 hours.

For about 2 quarts pickles, you will need:

8 c. thinly sliced yellow squash
    3 onions, chopped
    1 pound frozen carrots, thawed
    1 hole head of garlic sliced
    1/3 c. salt
    3 c. vinegar
    3 c. sugar
    1 tbsp. each mustard seeds and turmeric
    1 tsp. celery seeds

TIPS: Use squash in prime condition. Scrub well before slicing. White vinegar will give the best color.
    In large mixing bowl, combine squash onions, and green pepper. Add combined 1/3 cup salt and water to cover. Stir lightly. Cover and set aside for 2 hours. Drain.
    Combine remaining ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil. Add squash mixture. Boil 3 minutes.
    Pack in hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal jars. Serve pickles well chilled.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. MiWi

MiWi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    I haven't ever made pickled squash but I remember eating my great aunt's when I was growing up. I also have bought jars but the only ones I can find around here are 10.00 a jar. I've never had it with green peppers but I think it would be good. I'm going to save this recipe to try when the squash comes in around here.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Looks good, thank you! Our squash is just starting to flower, better go inventory my jars! [​IMG]

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I make a Squash Pickle and a Zucchini Pickle that's exactly like your recipe - except no green pepper. Sometimes I make a mixed version using both squash and zucchini together. Any of these are popular with our family and friends. I really think they all taste the same, regardless of which squash you use. But the color variations are nice.

I started making the zucchini pickles when in my early 20's after a friend's mother shared the recipe. My grandmother (on Dad's side) loved them. I made them every year and gave them to her as a gift during Summer canning season, then often gave her a "saved" jar at Christmas. She passed away almost 20 yrs ago, but I still make the pickles. I started selling them at farmers markets a couple years ago - all 3 versions including squash only, zucchini only, and mixed. I have repeat buyers for all of them.

Do you have the Ball Blue Book? There's a Squash Relish recipe in there that's good. It also sells well for me and is a hit with family.

Edit: typo

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Kim_NC...

I hadn't thought about using zucchini, that would make a nice color contrast. I was thinking about leaving out the bell peppers and adding some thawed, frozen carrot slices. I put those in my bread and butter pickles sometimes and I really like them. Fresh carrots don't pickle well because they are too hard, but the frozen ones that have been thawed work well because they are a little softer from being frozen.

I don't have the Ball Blue Book recipe for squash relish, if it's not too much trouble would you mind posting it?

Thanks,
    Betty

6. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Here you go

Squash Relish

12 cups coarsely chopped squash, unpeeled
    5 medium onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper,chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    5 tablespoons salt
    3 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    2 tablespoons celery seeds

Combine squash, onion, peppers, and salt. Cover and allow to sit for 3 hours. Drain and rinse well. Combine the remaining ingredients to make a syrup, boiling until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened. Add to vegetables and cook for 20 minutes. Ladle into hot canning jars, adjust seals. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thank you...that is very kind of you to take the time to type that up...I really appreciate it. I just finished cleaning out my chicken house today and put new bedding in. I'm expecting a dozen Production Red chicks tomorrow and have to get ready for them, so I haven't had time to make any pickles yet. But as soon as I get the babies settled in I plan to get busy.

Thanks again.
    Betty

8. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    You're welcome, Betty. I need to clean out my coops too. Originally had that in mind today, but it poured rain most of the day. Looks like Wed now....tomorrow I have a farmers market and no time. [​IMG]

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Yeah, I've been watching the weather...you guys are really getting pounded. Hope you stay dry. [​IMG]

10. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by