Yellow Squash Pickles ***Pic Added***Recipe Reworked***

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I have yellow squash coming out my ears, I'm freezing some for the winter but I was looking around for other recipes to use them up and came across this recipe. Has anyone ever made these? I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out.

***I finally got around to making the pickles and they are really good!!!! I added garlic and frozen carrots to the recipe and left out the green peppers...I also increased the sugar and vinegar to make up for the added ingredients. I didn't do the water bath I just filled one 1/2 gallon jar and two pints and stuck the whole thing in the frig. These won't last long enough to need a water bath. We finished off one of the pint jars at supper last night.

***This is the reworked recipe.
YELLOW SQUASH PICKLES

Preparation time: 25 minutes. Standing time: 2 hours.

For about 2 quarts pickles, you will need:

8 c. thinly sliced yellow squash
3 onions, chopped
1 pound frozen carrots, thawed
1 hole head of garlic sliced
1/3 c. salt
3 c. vinegar
3 c. sugar
1 tbsp. each mustard seeds and turmeric
1 tsp. celery seeds

TIPS: Use squash in prime condition. Scrub well before slicing. White vinegar will give the best color.
In large mixing bowl, combine squash onions, and green pepper. Add combined 1/3 cup salt and water to cover. Stir lightly. Cover and set aside for 2 hours. Drain.
Combine remaining ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil. Add squash mixture. Boil 3 minutes.
Pack in hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal jars. Serve pickles well chilled.

YellowSquashPickles001.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't ever made pickled squash but I remember eating my great aunt's when I was growing up. I also have bought jars but the only ones I can find around here are 10.00 a jar. I've never had it with green peppers but I think it would be good. I'm going to save this recipe to try when the squash comes in around here.

Looks good, thank you! Our squash is just starting to flower, better go inventory my jars!
big_smile.png

I make a Squash Pickle and a Zucchini Pickle that's exactly like your recipe - except no green pepper. Sometimes I make a mixed version using both squash and zucchini together. Any of these are popular with our family and friends. I really think they all taste the same, regardless of which squash you use. But the color variations are nice.

I started making the zucchini pickles when in my early 20's after a friend's mother shared the recipe. My grandmother (on Dad's side) loved them. I made them every year and gave them to her as a gift during Summer canning season, then often gave her a "saved" jar at Christmas. She passed away almost 20 yrs ago, but I still make the pickles. I started selling them at farmers markets a couple years ago - all 3 versions including squash only, zucchini only, and mixed. I have repeat buyers for all of them.

Do you have the Ball Blue Book? There's a Squash Relish recipe in there that's good. It also sells well for me and is a hit with family.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Kim_NC...

I hadn't thought about using zucchini, that would make a nice color contrast. I was thinking about leaving out the bell peppers and adding some thawed, frozen carrot slices. I put those in my bread and butter pickles sometimes and I really like them. Fresh carrots don't pickle well because they are too hard, but the frozen ones that have been thawed work well because they are a little softer from being frozen.

I don't have the Ball Blue Book recipe for squash relish, if it's not too much trouble would you mind posting it?

Thanks,
Betty

Here you go

Squash Relish

12 cups coarsely chopped squash, unpeeled
5 medium onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper,chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
5 tablespoons salt
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons celery seeds

Combine squash, onion, peppers, and salt. Cover and allow to sit for 3 hours. Drain and rinse well. Combine the remaining ingredients to make a syrup, boiling until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened. Add to vegetables and cook for 20 minutes. Ladle into hot canning jars, adjust seals. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Quote:
Thank you...that is very kind of you to take the time to type that up...I really appreciate it. I just finished cleaning out my chicken house today and put new bedding in. I'm expecting a dozen Production Red chicks tomorrow and have to get ready for them, so I haven't had time to make any pickles yet. But as soon as I get the babies settled in I plan to get busy.

Thanks again.
Betty

You're welcome, Betty. I need to clean out my coops too. Originally had that in mind today, but it poured rain most of the day. Looks like Wed now....tomorrow I have a farmers market and no time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom