yellow throated franklin pheasants ?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by poultrykeeper08, Jul 7, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Does any one have any ionfo on these pheasants ? i cant find any info on the web and i think i hatched out a chick from a mixed batch of pheasant eggs i got

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    This is what you are looking for...Yellow-Necked Francolin

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    How old is the chick? Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:As the others mentioned above, you mean Yellow-necked Francolin - http://www.gbwf.org/francolin/yellowfrancolin.html - and it is very unlikely that eggs of this species was added to a mixed batch of pheasant eggs. This francolin is still rather rare in captivity and not to mention that it is smaller than most pheasants and the eggs could never be confused with pheasant eggs by anyone who owns the species (or at least I hope).

We could try and help you identify this odd bird, can you post some details about egg color or a pic of the chick? Size? Coloration?

Dan

5. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    the people i got the eggs from have franklins . i am buying the pair they had . The eggs was a little bigger then the size of a pigeon egg and a cream color .

the chick is a week and ahalf old and cinnoman in color . ill get a pic a little later . unfortunitaly it had got a cut on it beek a week ago and its beek seems like it rotted so its a bit deformed . i hope it lives ,

thanks for the help . they called them yello throated franklins so thats were i got the name from

6. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:The eggs of Yellow-billed Francolin are cream with dark speckles, hatch in 18-20 days. Chicks resemble other African Francolin (see image of Erckel's Chicks - http://www.gbwf.org/francolin/erckels03.html - ).

Photo of adult with young -
    [​IMG]

Yellow-throats avg around 200 bucks a pair, so I find it difficult to believe that someone would be careless enough to let some eggs go with a batch of pheasant eggs on accident.

Dan

7. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    my egg had no speckles but the chick seems to have the feathers of that chick coming in . She got the eggs out of the pen that held franklins,amhersts and silver pheonix chickens . she is a friend of mine and gave me all the eggs she could find in the pen .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by