Yellow-Tinged whites?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SussexInSeattle, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I was just wondering if yellow tinged whites are a bad thing or are they normal? Or if anyone knows what causes that? My jumbo egg layer always seems to have slightly yelllow in the whites until they are cooked, then they turn as white as everybody elses. Anyone know why? Or how to stop this?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's normal! Mine tend to be slightly yellow-ish, too. We're just used to the egg "white" being clear. Sounds like your girls have good nutrition.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Sounds like you've been feeding alot of corn, that will make yellow whites.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Thank you everyone for your input but the eggs are kind of yellow tinged straight out the chicken's butt, so I know they are good and fresh and I only add a fraction of cracked corn when the weather is bitter cold or wet/snowy. I can't picture corn going into the digestive tract and skipping over to the reproductive organs, no matter how hard I try.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's not that it skips from the digestive tract to the reproductive, rather that the chemicals are transferred via the blood stream.

Give your chickens some pumpkin and you'll see the most orange yolks you've ever seen, I promise! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by