Histomoniasis: Yellow Urate & Lethargy in Poult...

Pics

Pennys Mama

🦃Jake~Jake's 👩🏽‍⚕️Nurse & 🐣Hatchaholic
Oct 12, 2019
LeFlore County, Oklahoma
My sick poult that died 2 days ago was having yellow urate on otherwise normal poo.... now another of the poults is acting "under the weather" & having yellow urate.... I just started the flock on tylan/doxy soluble 2 days ago, will this help them if it's e coli or salmonella? Or what do i need to change them all over to? Any suggestions please? The one died within a day of looking/acting sluggish but had lost some weight that I hadn't noticed until I picked it up.

@TwoCrows @Wyorp Rock
@R2elk @casportpony @Eggcessive @aart

I just ordered some enrofloxacin (baytril 10%), it'll take several days to get here from jedds.

This sick poult is still eating & drinking for now....
I appreciate everyone's help & advice in advance.

*edited to add picture of Jake (my surviving poult)
20200301_211636.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry you are dealing with this. :hugs

The Tylan in the mix probably won't help this, but the Doxy probably will. I would only use the Baytril if the tylan/doxy stuff doesn't cause any improvement after 4 or 5 days. Doxy is a broad spectrum antibiotic and works on many types of bacteria and conditions.

This could be anything from E.coli, kidney infection and or caused by something else to which this is secondary.

Do you have any pics of the poop?

So sorry you are dealing with this. :hugs

The Tylan in the mix probably won't help this, but the Doxy probably will. I would only use the Baytril if the tylan/doxy stuff doesn't cause any improvement after 4 or 5 days. Doxy is a broad spectrum antibiotic and works on many types of bacteria and conditions.

This could be anything from E.coli, kidney infection and or caused by something else to which this is secondary.

Do you have any pics of the poop?
1582488978184300795188834808423.jpg

The puny ones poop at the top and gungho brothers poo at the bottom....

I'm sorry, I overlooked the part that said "poult". Can you purchase some metronidazole too? I ask because it's possible that it could be blackhead (histomoniasis). If it is, you need metronidazole, Baytril, and Safeguard or Valbazen.
I agree with Kathy here, this could be blackhead. I had a death in the past from blackhead and they went fast.

I'm sorry, I overlooked the part that said "poult". Can you purchase some metronidazole too? I ask because it's possible that it could be blackhead (histomoniasis). If it is, you need metronidazole, Baytril, and Safeguard or Valbazen.
I can order some of the flagyl, I have some safeguard.... won't this be 100% fatal for all my poults eventually if that's what this is? I've never had turkey before, these are my first poults that I hatched out. If it's blackhead that would make my chickens, etc carriers? I have Bobwhites too....

Back
Top Bottom