Histomoniasis: Yellow Urate & Lethargy in Poult...

I'm sorry that she's not well.
Looks like you are getting some great help. I don't know much about Turkeys, but will follow along to see how it goes.
Thanks. I try to tag the people I know can help & those who usually know people that can help, lol.
I hope my poult pulls through, it seems to take forever for meds to get shipped, it's still eating & drinking right now so:fl🙏.

Thanks. I try to tag the people I know can help & those who usually know people that can help, lol.
I hope my poult pulls through, it seems to take forever for meds to get shipped, it's still eating & drinking right now so:fl🙏.
Are you going to treat him/her with the Safeguard? I think I got lost on this thread LOL

Are you going to treat him/her with the Safeguard? I think I got lost on this thread LOL
I've got it already, so I think I need to treat them all. I plan on giving them all the safeguard tomorrow. It's just trying to figure out how much to give everyone.... I have over 60 birds, yet only 2 turkey poults. I get overwhelmed thinking about how to go about medicating this many birds with multiple medications & dosages...

Last edited:
I've got it already, so I think I need to treat them all. I plan on giving them all the safeguard tomorrow. It's just trying to figure out how much to give everyone.... I have over 60 birds, yet only 2 turkey poults. I get overwhelmed thinking about how to go about medicating this many birds with multiple medications & dosages...
Oh Boy LOL
I don't know about anybody else's thoughts, but if you are leaning toward Blackhead in the Poult(s), then I would go ahead and start treatment on them first, then get the chickens in groups if that's possible(?)

When I had that many chickens, I tried Wormout Gel in the water for 2 days to worm for everything. It has a strong orange taste and has to be mixed carefully which took some stirring, but it will treat cecal worms. It is found online. Dosage is 12.5 ml per liter of water. Here is some info about it and a video:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/

Oh Boy LOL
I don't know about anybody else's thoughts, but if you are leaning toward Blackhead in the Poult(s), then I would go ahead and start treatment on them first, then get the chickens in groups if that's possible(?)
When I had that many chickens, I tried Wormout Gel in the water for 2 days to worm for everything. It has a strong orange taste and has to be mixed carefully which took some stirring, but it will treat cecal worms. It is found online. Dosage is 12.5 ml per liter of water. Here is some info about it and a video:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/
@Pennys Mama, do you have a food scale that you can weigh the poult on? If not, you really need to buy one. Since it is a poult, it should be growing and gaining weight daily, and tracking weight will give you an idea of how sick it is, and how best to treat.
Poult #2 died this morning.
Poult #3 (the only remaining turkey on my property) is still running around as if there isn't a care in the world other than needing to sit in my lap! #3s poo was normal, haven't seen any today to see if it has yellow urate yet/now.

I do have a food scale, just gotta figure out how to get this big 'o poult on it....

I thought I would be able to, but I can't manage to see through my leaking eyes!
My heart aches for you. :hit :hugs poults are so special and it is so easy to get attached.
Maybe you could place your poult in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator and try to do a necropsy later. If it was blackhead I can tell you exactly how to treat the remaining one. If it was not blackhead, we can try to figure out what it was.

Back
Top Bottom