Yellow Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wittman, Feb 9, 2017.

1. wittman

wittman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    NY
    I was just in my chicken house for a minute to check on the chickens and I noticed something smelled really bad, and as I was leaving I noticed one of my hens' vent; the area around it was red, and there was yellow on it, and it seemed to be open. I'm really not sure what this is, and I'm worried that it could kill her or spread to the other chickens. What is that and how to I fix it? I had a rooster die the other day from some unknown reason, and I'm worried that he had the same thing and it killed him. Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of her vent? Does it look like a prolapsed vent or could she have been pecked by the other chickens. Were there any marks or signs of anything unusual on your rooster? I would bring her inside and give her a warm soak in either Epsom salts or dish soap to clean off her bottom to see it well. If there is a prolapse you can apply honey or hemmorhoid cream to help reduce swelling, but keep it moist so it doesn't dry out. If it has been pecked and injured, plain antibiotic ointment would be better to apply. Dry her with a hair dryer and keep her separated. When we see your picture, we can help you more.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your hen doing?

4. wittman

wittman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    NY
    [​IMG]
    This is the best I could do, as she is really wiggly. She seems to be acting normal and her poop looks like it normally does, and she doesn't smell like I originally thought the other day. We just got a massive snowstorm and I wasn't able to check on her yesterday, sorry for not replying sooner.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I still can't see much-feathers in the way. Here are some pics of a prolapsed vent if hers looks similar:

[​IMG]
    photo by armorfirelady
    [​IMG]
    photo by Nifty-Chicken
    [​IMG]
    photo by Whatsupchickenbutt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by