Yellowish, Snotty eye discharge

Aug 1, 2020
I have a blind khaki Campbell duck, shes a few months old. yesterday I noticed this white film over her left eye and she had That eye closed a lot. It seemed uncomfortable so I removed the film gently, a few hours later it looked like the film was back, but I just removed it again And didn’t worry about it.

i noticed earlier today that her eye was closed again, but was working on the ducks pond and it didn’t seem urgent. I came back later and her eye looks like that (I have inserted an image) and it seems sealed shut. (Never mind she opened it when I took her inside, and started freaking out). SHe might have a little less energy than usual but I don’t know for sure as Im not usually around at this time and the ducks were napping. She did seem less aware of her surroundings than usual But that could just be because she was resting.

does anyone know what this is is what I should do? I will take her inside just in case it could spread to the other ducks But I don’t wanna remove it untill I know that’s how I should go about this. (Remove the glob I mean) and that yellow stuff did drip, it’s like the color of pee and a liquid.

the second image is of when she opened her eye

Attachments

• EB60F3EF-9DF5-4710-9B99-6EBF242B008A.jpeg
    EB60F3EF-9DF5-4710-9B99-6EBF242B008A.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 99044056-CA22-4DB4-A90C-AAFDEC38776D.jpeg
    99044056-CA22-4DB4-A90C-AAFDEC38776D.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 1
Does the eye appear intact or damaged? I am not familiar with ducks as @Miss Lydia or
@Isaac 0 are, but I would rinse the eye twice a day and apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye. It might be an injury, but could be conjunctivitis (pinkeye) associated with a respiratory disease. MG is a common one, and may be seen in wild birds and in some backyard flocks.

Does the eye appear intact or damaged? I am not familiar with ducks as @Miss Lydia or
@Isaac 0 are, but I would rinse the eye twice a day and apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye. It might be an injury, but could be conjunctivitis (pinkeye) associated with a respiratory disease. MG is a common one, and may be seen in wild birds and in some backyard flocks.
she just got the mucus stuff off (rubbed it on me) and her eye looks mostly normal but has like a fog over it I tried to get a picture but she did not cooperate, she’s very upset about being away from her freinds 😂

her Eyes look normal except for the foggy ness and that discharge.

Attachments

• 4925B6EF-0781-46D1-98AC-F4D09635BDC5.jpeg
    4925B6EF-0781-46D1-98AC-F4D09635BDC5.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 1
  • AD8596C5-CBAE-43B3-9B0A-ACEAE59916F4.jpeg
    AD8596C5-CBAE-43B3-9B0A-ACEAE59916F4.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 1
Will do, I know it’s not from a peck and Doesn’t look like a cataract. (one of our roosters has the foggy peck eye, it’s not as foggy as his and it’s all over the eye) if it’s from an infection do you think I could let her go back to he flock or no? I could see it being from her running into something or getting Something in her eye. she’s blind and often has trouble finding her way around when the rest of the ducks aren’t where they are supposed to be! they do a bad job waiting for her when they get near the wood pile and she does rub her face up against the stumps when she gets separated and is trying to find her way around.

Im going to wash her eye then apply tripple antibiotic ointment, if nessisary I can set up a space for her but i if its probably not contagious everyone would prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom