Yellowstone: 2017 Hiking trip soliciting opinions and advice

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by daxigait, Aug 23, 2016.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Hi, I am going to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone next summer. I am doing a five day pack trip in the Tetons followed by Yellowstone. Yellowstone is mine to plan. I plan to hike and camp for several days of my week followed by catching Old Faithful and the paint pots.
    I thought I would see if anyone would share their experience and favorite parts of Yellowstone if you have been. Or your biggest disappointment.
    Please share.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Leave a LightOn

Leave a LightOn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    [​IMG] I have been several times and have lots of good memories which I am terrified to have dismissed as no good - sorry if that does not make sense.
    I could help better if I knew your interests - wildlife, geysers, waterfalls?
    Been looking at old photos. Wish I could go again.

3. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Forgot to add waterfalls to the list. How long of hike - 1, 2, 4 hours total? What month? Some trails under water early (June) in year. etc

p.s. Do you have reservations? Certain areas you will be concentrating on? Canyon, Lake, West Thumb, Old Faithful?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I hope to do a two or three day hike and several day types. There is so much that interests me I am having a hard time narrowing it down.
    I am doing a pack trip on horses in the Tetons for five days before heading to Yellowstone. I am interested in all of it except I don't need to repeat the high mountains part. The canyon and the river sound interesting.
    Next August. I did enough mosquitoes growing up.
    I will hit the paint pots, the bigger falls, and old faithful in the three or four days I have for short hikes and big tourist sites.
    Thus, I need ideas for a longer hike, and several short highlight hikes.
    Room for more on the trip ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Are you taking or renting horse? In Yellowstone, Canyon, Tower, best places to rent.

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I am doing a trip in the Tetons. I am not taking my horse. I am looking at Swift... Out of Jackson Hole.
    I will do Yellowstone on foot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  7. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Rental car for the sight seeing part.

8. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    [​IMG] OK, I will start telling you about things starting from the South Entrance heading north to West Thumb (Yellowstone Lake) looping up along the lake to the grand Canyon area, NW past Tower, Mammoth Hot Springs and back south through Old Faithful mentioning trails, items of interest, etc.

This way each post will hopefully not become a cumbersome novel. You obviously will go whichever way you like, but the main rd system is a loop and this way perhaps my descriptions will not be too random.

So, upon entering the park from the Tetons, you will most likely have sat in a long line. To take a break from the traffic, pull out to the right when you see Moose Falls sign. Park and hike down ~75yds (steep) to water where you can swim til you're ready to resume driving. Or skip it.

[​IMG]

Obviously these are just suggestions. Please stop me if I get way off base.

Seven miles north of the entrance, on the right, is the pullout/trailhead for Heart Lake Trail. 7miles one way. At the lake there is a thermal basin, backcountry camping - permit required - and a trail to the top of Mt Sheridan (3mi one way) for this view of Heart Lake:
    [​IMG]

Oops,hit submit too soon.
    Total round trip if you climb Mt Sheridan is 20 miles.

Continuing north to West Thumb which has a great thermal basin at the water's edge, some features in the water. Worth stopping for.
    You used to be able to rent kayaks there. Not certain of current info

From here follow signs to right, north east, toward Lake area.
    I'll add more later.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Sorry for "abandoning my duties" here. Family life. Nufff said.

I will continue "my tour" when my mind is clearer.

For any and all plannng trips to Yellowstone, you may be interested in another BYC member's trip recollections.

h2g2 - The h2g2 Post 19.09.16Yellodtone

BBL8R

10. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Thanks. I appreciate the help. Trying to narrow it down is so hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by