Yes! A Chicken Forum! :d

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LeafLover, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] Well, latest members of the family is our chickens.
    Not too long ago, we got two chickens, a yellow and a brown one, tiny little puff balls. Well, I used to carry the brown one a lot, you know, around the house lol. But, I never liked the yellow fuzzy butt cause it would peck my fingers off. That's where the "addiction" started.

So, the two are starting to get grown up feathers at the ends of their wings, the brown one growing the...pink thing on its head a little too quickly. We went to the store, and saw two beautiful little chickies with feathers on their legs! Sold. Brought them home, threw them in with the others. Then, we got a tan one. Up to five chickens.

One day, the little brown chicken started squeaking. And from then on it decided it was too "big" to be held by me.
    I have absolutely no idea on what kinds of chickens we ended up with, but that's one of the reasons I'm on here!

I know the brown chick turned out to be a gorgeous ( MEAN) rooster.
    The yellow one a white hen with blue legs and..."side burns"
    the two with the furry "boots", a rooster and a hen, both are short, fat, and look like they have a balloon tucked under their feathers in the back.
    and the last one a reddish brown hen.

And here recently we got three more chicks. They are teenagers now, and they all are super duper friendly- perhaps TOO friendly- and I believe they are all hens.

And, even more recently....the furry legged hen hatched 3 beautiful babies. For the record, one of the chicks is not her biological baby. It was the red hen's egg that she snatched. But we won't tell her or the yellow baby that [​IMG] Unfortunatly one of the furry legs has a...red thingy on it's head that's a deeper red than the other's....let's hope it's not a rooster.

Well, the two roosters started squaring off, and we had to separate them. Sadly, the brown gorgeous rooster died. We have absolutely no idea why.

Anyhow, our chickens roam our big backyard, dig a little here and there, and they follow us around in groups of three. ( Teens in one pack, Fluffy rooster-white hen-red hen in another pack, and well, we haven't let the babies chickies out along with the momma cause we have a standard poodle who gets a little too friendly sometimes.)

My name is Stephanie ( Steph) and I take tons and tons of pictures! I never stop talking, and I'm in LOVE with plants and fish. ( OH, oh, and chickens!) I can do things quicker and better when someone says I can't,[​IMG], and...I'm aparently not good at describing myself lol.
    Is there a rule on here that I can't post pics till I've been on for ____ days? Or have posted ____ times?

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't think there is a rule for posting pics..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    Welcome to BYC !!! and yes I think you have to post comments a certain amount of times to be able to post pictures. I am kinda new here Myself so am just learning on here as well. This is a great forum ,I am so glad I heard about it [​IMG]

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Your girl with the side burns sounds like an easter egger. What color are her eggs? And the fluffy feet are most likely cochins are brahmas. Reddish one a rhode island red? We need pictures(10 posts before you can put up pics)!!! Love your story!

5. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks! And I'd better start postin' then [​IMG]

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:Her eggs have a bluish gray tent to them. And thanks!

I think its so funny when the girls let the world know after they lay an egg! Not so funny when the rooster wakes us up at 4 AM.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    [​IMG] that "red thingy" is called a comb, the "sideburns" are muffs and beard (sounds like you've got an easter egger??) and the "furry boots" are feathered feet [​IMG] don't worry, we've all been there i'm sure you'll catch up on the chicken lingo soon!! sorry about your brown rooster by the way [​IMG]

9. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:lol! Ok thanks!
    Yeah, the rooster's death was sad....but to be perfectly honest, we were about to eat him or give him away anyways. He was just too mean. I couldn't even like, stare at him or he'd puff up.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by