Yes, another question about ventilation in the cold weather

Leigti

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 22, 2015
Walla Walla WA
We are currently having the coldest winter since I got my chickens. I thought I had enough ventilation in the coop but now I'm not so sure. So here are some photos and I'm very open to suggestions. I have 12 chickens. The coop is a 4 x 8 raised coop. I currently have all the windows closed. The pop door is open during the day and closed at night. Since these pictures were taken the roost has been Lord about 10 inches. The highs are not expected to get out of the teens for the next few days.

The nest box is on the south side of the coop, The wind usually blows from the south or south west here. There is no supplemental heat or light.

Pretty tight quarters for 12 birds. From what I see, I doubt that you currently have adequate ventilation given the bird density. Those openings around the roof are the only ventilation if the wondows are closed?

Last edited:
Your coop is 50% overstocked. If you had 8 birds in there, that would cut the moisture they produce by a considerable amount. You don't have enough ventilation, even if there were only 8 birds.

Pretty tight quarters for 12 birds. From what I see, I doubt that you currently have adequate ventilation given the bird density. Those openings around the roof are the only ventilation if the wondows are closed?

Yes. The opening along the back below the roofline is 1' x 8' long. All the windows can be open. And are most of the year. I don't know if opening the window on the south side, one that pushes out, would cause a draft?

The way that the south window opens will not cause a draft issue. The roosts are far enough from it that any air the does get blown in will not be hitting the chickens directly. I agree that you have 4 birds too many in there. Can you cut any vents into the sides near the roof to open it up a bit more?

The way that the south window opens will not cause a draft issue. The roosts are far enough from it that any air the does get blown in will not be hitting the chickens directly. I agree that you have 4 birds too many in there. Can you cut any vents into the sides near the roof to open it up a bit more?

I know it is a bit over crowded but they only go in there to like eggs and sleep. They usually free roam the yard the rest of the day.
I can definitely put some vents or holes up higher, like above the window on the south side and then at the top on the other side also where the roof comes up to its highest point. I actually wanted to do that when it was built but the person building it didn't think it was needed.

This is the window about 3/4 open. The roosts are now about 10 inches lower than they are in that picture. So you think this will be fine? I might just have to stand out there and check it out when the wind is blowing. I can hang clear plastic on the fence to block the wind from that direction.
I use PDZ on the poop board and clean it out daily in this cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom