Yes Grit No Grit???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hanh3197, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    I don't know if I asked this before but if I feed them commercial feed do I need to supply grit? Also people say they use sand for chicks as grit... what kind? and until how old?
    Thanks

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    while they're babies they don't need anything but their chick feed, it supplies them with everything they need.

3. Hanh3197

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    even if I give them treats like mealworms?

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Yes. They need the grit to break it down. For their chick feed they don't need it and not for soft treats like yogurt. But bugs, veggie scraps, yes.

Plain old river sand sifted through a screen is all mine got. Lots of folks use construction sand bought at local builder supply stores. Cheaper than the chicken grit you'll get at feed stores and does the same job.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We built our house on construction sand, since the chicken run is next to the house, there is an unlimited supply of it. There are also different sized stones in the run as well. [​IMG] I guess our sandy lot is working out after all. [​IMG]

6. Hanh3197

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    is construction sand the same as concrete sand??

7. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We feed an organic feed and give them grit within their first week. They say if you feed processed or commercial feeds you definitely need to supply grit. We buy chick grit, it's larger than sand so I would assume it does a better job than sand.

8. Brand New Chicken Momma

Brand New Chicken Momma Out Of The Brooder

I have two week old chicks who have only had chick starter. I'd like to start a few treats here and there as I read that this would be helpful in getting them to "like" me, or at least not run away from me [​IMG]. Is it ok to give parakeet grit? Also, when giving yogurt, can it be flavored or should I stick with plain? This is all new to me so any advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. Hanh3197

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    Quote:Yeah same here! I have 2 week olds who only eat their crumbles.... i guess i'll get some chick grit then
    i wanna spoil them with treats too! [​IMG]

10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

When they start eating grower feed with bigger pieces of corn and grain, they need more than sand. There are several sizes of grit that they need to go through as long as they are in the brooder and not out in the yard where bigger rocks can be found. As their crop and gizzard grow, they need to have larger sizes of grit that will stay in there to grind up the food, instead of going right through. When they are finally outside and they have access to dirt with different size pebbles, you can stop giving store-bought grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by