Yes, I am new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by belle99, Feb 3, 2012.

1. belle99

belle99 New Egg

Feb 3, 2012
    Hi all, This is my first post on BYC although I have visited the sight many times over the past year. I am a working mom of two humans, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 4 chickens. I grew up in the Bay Area in CA, but always wanted to live in the country. About seven years ago my husband and I made the move to Tennessee (his family is from here, but we are both native californians). At the time of our move I thought our 3/4 acre lot was massive compared to what CA had to offer. Of course I wanted to start a garden, chickens, and goats. My husband had to reel me in a bit and limited me to just a garden and a new puppy! Well finally last year I got my chickens ( a co-worker's daughter used them for a photo shoot and I claimed them right away). I knew nothing about chickens but read everything I could so my chickens would be happy and safe. We ended up with three layers and the cutest little black frizzle cochin bantam you would ever see. The girls all lived happily until the layers began picking on my little banty and we had to build her her own apartment. Eventually we got her a little silky roommate and they became the best of friends. Unfortunately just this week the girls were all out of their run scratching in the yard like they do everyday and a hawk got my little banty!!! I am so heartbroken and mad at myself for becoming too comfortable about letting them range. Typically, I leave my Australian Cattle Dog out with the chickens for protection (she is an awesome dog and great chicken babysitter) but that day I didn't make her stay out so needless to say I have been going through all the "I should haves" and blaming myself.
    So enough rambling, the reason I finally joined is because I am eventually going to need a new little friend for the silkie who is now lonely (at least I personify her as being loney), but I want another sweet banty and don't want to buy it without meeting her first. So I am hoping to meet other Crazy Chicken People in West Tennessee to begin networking and hopefully find another funny little banty or two to help heal my broken heart.

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. I know the feeling, I blamed myself when a raccoon tore apart the chicken wire soffit on our run and got our first flock, but at least the painful lessons led to a better run and coop for our new flock.

3. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. HIS Paintbrush

HIS Paintbrush Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    fddf
    Hi there, I am new too!

6. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

If there is a Tennesee thread you might try posting there, maybe someone close to you can help you out.

8. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us!

9. WELCOME TO BYC!!!! GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE! and about the bantam- if your gonna let it be killed, let it be killed happy :) can't live its whole life locked up can it?

10. MrsMoonCat

MrsMoonCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Madera, CA
    Hi, I am new to the site too. Not really new to the chooks though I am learning new things daily here. It is a great community.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by