Yes I Got Another Question??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sixshooter60, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Sorry to ask so many questions but i guess thats how to learn.. anyway i was wondering if its ok to put vitamins in the water for them.. i have the poultry pack that i use for baby chicks .i read on it and didnt see anything about not giving it to quail . its good for turkeys so i thought it would be ok for quail.. also what about any of the antibiotics you mix in the water..just wondering if anyone uses any of thise or dont use anything.. i didnt know since the gbs is non medicated ...

2. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    I had been wondering this myself. I add vitamins into my finches water, but I hadn't added any into my baby quails water yet because I wasn't sure if I could.

Does anyone know? and if so, is there particular ones that are better to use than others?

And I think questions are good, it shows you care to learn about your quails to provide them with the best your are able to.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I personally have little to no faith in vitamins that are added to water.

You have no idea if the animal is getting the right amount, and in the warm weather it can go rancid. I tried it years ago and tossed it.

I think the best thing you can do is feed them proper, and provide good healthy greens.

Plus... with a poultry vitamin, it will be different needs that for a quail... and the does will be hard to figure for a little quail. I would think your better off not using it.

You don't want to use antibiotics unless the quail needs it. If given too much as a preventative measure, it's body will build up an immunity to it..

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is really a personal preference. But from what I understand about feed is, is that sometimes what they claim is in the bag can sometimes not be true. And some companies put the least amount of vitamins and minerals in their feed that they can to cut down on costs.

Once a week I add a vitamin, mineral, ammino acid, pro and prebiotic, etc...mix to my quail and chicken water. I have found that they do look better and feel better, the probios in the mix keep the intestinal tract in good shape and all the vitamins help with their immune systems.

Just like we humans take vitamins, as long as you over dose them on it, it can't hurt them.

So it is entirely up to you. I wouldn't add it on a daily schedule however, but occasionally it may do them some good. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Why are my posts double posting!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:LOL!
    BYC was glitching today.. I even got a message saying it was undergoing unexpected maintenance.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Only hit the submit button once or you will get a double post or even more depending on how many times you hit the submit button.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by