Yes!!! I think she is broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 9, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    So I never could get a answe to the question " if I want my hen to go broody should I just not gather her eggs?" and when I went out this morning, I believe she has finally done it!! She doesn't hisss at me or anything, but I think it is just because she is so nice!! (She jumps into my lap if I sit down) and now she is just sitting there!! I think she only has 5 eggs though!! Not sure!!! But I sure do hope she really is!!

2. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok never mind! [​IMG] she got off the nest!! And has been off a while now!!! Do you think she is just getting ready to go broody? Ive never had a broody hen if you can't tell haha!!

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You have breeds that tend to go broody, so I think it will happen eventually. Each hen has her own component of broody skills, and I don't think there is much you can do to inspire or improve them. The best you can do is provide the ideal conditions and wait for the little voices only they can hear in their heads to speak to them at the proper time.

Broody hens usually prefer darkened private places to nest. You can make at least one of your nest boxes extra shaded, set off to the side, keep some fake eggs in there for inspiration.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Mine went broody for a couple of days. I didn't want her to be, so I broke her of it. She got all puffed up and HUGE when I or the other hens got near her. She pushed the other's eggs under her, and when those were taken she still sat on the golf balls. She slept in the nest box as well. She did peck me, but lightly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by