Yes, I'm a newbie and I'm willing to ask....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gottaknow, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Gottaknow

Gottaknow New Egg

Mar 8, 2016
    South Eastern Oklahoma
    Hello All, I'm new to the club,,,,well, new to my first chicken club![​IMG]
    I'm a first timer trying a styrofoam incubator.
    . I purchased some beautiful blue EE eggs to use in the one my father used. I know he used it about 3-4-5 times and he had no problems. I however, had boyfriends and dates on my mind an chose to care less and not pay a lick of attention about how the use this thing...EXCEPT how this thing with a little effort to be converted to a beer chest for the pool!

Now, I did read the incubator 101 post and did get some good points but I just want to ask more. Please forgive me if I ask something that is already posted somewhere...[​IMG]

I put eggs in around 9pm on Monday. Only time I opened it was to quickly drain water in bottom....

1. What and why do you mark the RINGS around the eggs and should I

2. I DID add water to the bottom and drained it out this evening. Humidity is now 47 it had been 70-64 prior to water removed. Oh, I have the only plug out.

3. On day 18 I take out my turner and place eggs on rack, right? And don't open!

I'm sure I have more but this is a start.
    I am soooooo Adamant about this hatch going as perfect as I can get because my father just passed away and as I said it was his. I kinda feel a little closer to him when I mess with it..[​IMG] I
    appreciate anyone's help and thanks for taking time out from your additions to help another!,,,

Tresea in Oklahoma

2. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I highly recommend going back to read the Hatching Eggs 101 article again and again, and again! I've only hatched 3 times now, but I learn something new EVERY time I re-read that article. All of the information I posted above was taken directly from @Sally Sunshine 's article.

Good luck, and welcome to BYC!
    Amy

1 person likes this.
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Welcome!! here is some other info! Amy great help! Your welcome to join us as well on the thread listed at the bottom!

TURNING ITS IMPORTANT

TURN MORE THAN 3 times a day!! post #22178

THERMOMETERS, HYGROMETERS & CALIBRATION

Thermo/hygro suggestions post #13998
    HEAT SINKS/ Stones/Pebbles ADD THEM TO STYRO! post #43903
    Calibration is a MUST:

WHY YOU SHOULD CALIBRATE and link to HOW: post #545 also see calibration in Hatching Eggs 101 TEMPS SECTION

INCUBATION TEMPERATURE

ADD a LEGO to your dial of cheap styro bator to make minor adjustments! GENIUS post #38133
    Incubators with fans and without fans need to run at DIFFERENT TEMPS! post #31175

HUMIDITY Humidity is NOT a set number!

Its a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg! post #8924 see Hatching Eggs 101

WHY do we need less humidity to get the best weight loss for colored hatching eggs during incubation? post #36320
    KEEPING MOLD and BACTERIAL from growing in water WELLS during incubation post #1644
    TIPS n TRICKS to raising humidity in incubators post #42512

LOCKDOWN, DAY 18, CANDLES, PIPS, ZIPS

MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770
    Pips and ZIPS ARE NOT THE SAME PATIENCE is a MUST!

UPDATE:

I have pulled extremely helpful NOTES, LINKS &

Informational Post Links from the Incubation w/ Friends thread

for EVERYONE'S convenience and will continue to put them HERE:

Here is the thread Link, come join us!

www.backyardchickens.com/t/1046313/incubating-w-friends-come-hatch-learn-chat-meet-new-friends/0_100

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by