Yes it is that time of the Year

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by buc, Aug 14, 2008.

1. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    The time to clean a few chickens and get them in the freezer for latter use. To cull the old ones for a nice soup stock and a few cold chicken sandwitches and to make a choice on what replacement hens and rooster will be added to the flock.

For me this is a wonderful time as this is why in part I raise chickens - to feed me and mine.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Awsome that you are able to do this. Unfortunately I am soft hearted and my layer girls are my babies. This year I do have 6 cornish x to see how able I am to process my own chickens. I used to do this growing up with the family, but I've turned soft hearted in my midlife, lol.
    Just bought 25 lb bag of feed, once its gone...it will be time! [​IMG] ...I hope!

3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Good for you, buc! Sounds like a good time to add to the freezer.
    [​IMG]

4. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:Watch the cornish x closely as they tend to waste food by putting on fat, you may wish to dress one to see just how well they have finished.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

interesting tidbit about the fat part of them as they are still on their feet and scratching in the shavings and stuff. (not going against anything you intend on mentioning) I only feed these guys for the daylight hours. I do have a few that are large, one roo that has the biggest legs and thighs, and one pullet that is small, 3 or 4 lbs. Been super fortunate as none seem to be "blueing" nor them being to heavy, started with 6 and still have the 6 at week 7. Picked up cal-grow for these next few weeks, I wont feed this to any other of my birds, so they can fatten up on it. Thanks tho for the warning! I appreciate it.

6. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    started with 6 and still have the 6 at week 7. Picked up cal-grow for these next few weeks, I wont feed this to any other of my birds, so they can fatten up on it. Thanks tho for the warning! I appreciate it."

you are welcome

the x is a really nice bird for getting those large portions of meat on the plate, I normally raise a few each year, but (and I know I am the only one in the world that has this problem) I am really running out of room

I added some mating bronze turkeys this year and they are space hogs - however they are nice looking and as far as bigger turkeys go I hear they mate well and give a lot of eggs, I will know if any of that is true in about 6-7 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by