Yes, maybe I'm crazy.....talk to me!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hottchick, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Made a mistake. I know better. I looked on Petfinder.com (always a mistake for me) and saw that they had 2 hens up for adoption. Well, one is listed as a year old hen and looks like a Rhode Island Red. The other is listed as a young white female. I guess that's a toss up. In the picture they had posted the poor hen looked like she was in a little bitty wire cage.

I very recently lost 2 of my Leghorn pullets to my stupid dog. I've corrected the issue of them getting out of the run.

My husband would probably shoot me. My kids, if they knew I had looked and seen them, would insist that I go get them right now. They're in the animal shelter and I'm not sure how long they will stay there.

I have a large dog house that my spoiled dogs will not use. My husband built an enclosure of sorts for the dogs that they will equally not use. I could alter it a bit to be a temporary quarantine area. Is a dog house sufficient for 30 days? I know it would be better than what they're in now.

Am I insane?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    get them but make sure they are quarantined and don't kill the rest of you flock!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, you are insane. Now go and get them.[​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:X2 RUN don't walk [​IMG]

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    You may be.... Course I am in the same boat [​IMG]

I keep finding "finds" on Craigslist. The latest I am picking up today as DH forgot to say no (I believe he said it was a good deal), thus I called the person RIGHT away and... 3 female mallards will be coming home with me tonight to the tune of $10 (did I mention it was for all three). I forgot to ask how hold they are or if they are laying eggs or any sort of useful information.

I seriously considered quail when I found them on craigslist. Or Peahens boy did they give me pause. The good news will both of these is I did a bit of research and don't want to alter the food for the birds. As soon as it gets complicated DH WON"T help. So No to quail or to peacocks.

And I have already picked which chicks I would have shipped for next year. Ah chicken math and the crazy me. At least we are having fun right?

6. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    HaHa! I should know better than to post anything on here and expect someone to talk me down. I'm not sure how long this particular shelter keeps the animals but the one white girl (she's actually listed as a year old which means they have no idea) has been there 14 days according to the website.ohhhhh....I'll have to talk to the hubby tonight and get my tongue lashing I guess.......

Will a dog house suffice as a coop for the quarantine? And how far away from the rest of the flock is acceptable?

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Don't do it. Leave them in their tiny cages. Who knows what they are or where they have been.

Now tell me where you live so I can see if it is close to here......[​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Go get 'em. Yes, a doghouse will work (unless it's made for teacup poodles)' and they'll be fine in there and in dog run for 30 days.
    [​IMG]

9. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would think a dog house for two chickens would be enough. Are you going to give them a bit of a yard? How cold does it get where you are? (course I would still say two chickens should be able to warm up a dog house) How much snow as you may want to lift the dog house up a bit so snow doesn't drift in. -- it would where I live. I would put them where they are not going to be near your other birds.

10. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm in NE North Carolina. We see snow maybe once a year if we're lucky. It's a large doghouse. My dogs are all 55-85 pounds. My husband tried to repurpose our deck when it came down and we had metal roofing left over from Vacation Bible School (don't ask) and he built an enclosure out of the old porch railings and metal roofing. It's about 3 feet tall by around 4 feet square sides. If it was enclosed with hardware cloth, it could be a suitable temporary home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by