Yes or Roo and from who? ;D

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Apr 20, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    So these are the results of hatching out eggs that had been washed and in the fridge to sell before all 20 of my hens were killed, piled in the run and left. There has been many speculations on what could have happened and trapping resulted in nothing after several weeks of trying. We've never lost anything that we didn't catch coming back for more.....anyway......I grabbed eggs out of the fridge and and against all odds hatched out 14! 2 didn't make it but I now have 12! So the big question is YES? or ROO? and from who? I suspect only three are roo's but you're all better at it then me. They are 7 1/2 weeks.

[​IMG] So....my roo is a Silver Ameraucana (he survived the massacre) the breeds of the hens that were laying at the time were: Ameraucana (I think mostly my 2 silvers because the 2 buffs had babies at there side), Barred Rock, Brahma, Buff Orpington & Sexlink.

8 of the Ameraucana eggs hatched but I didn't mark the chicks, but the silvers are pretty easy to identify but the blacks are tougher since most all of them have muffs from Big Daddy.

Here are some pictures to start with:
    Ameraucana #1 Best pic I have of this one so far but you'll see this bird in the background of several of the other pictures. The most colorful and some green feathers around the neck and tail with splashes of orange. Maybe someone can sex by feathers on this. Not a huge comb and it's more orange then red or pink
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this is the Ameraucana/Brahma mix but I'm not sure, I have one with hairy legs and one without so I'm not sure which one this is... We'll call her an Brahmacauna #3 and the one in the back of her is Ameraucana #1
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana #4 I have several black's like this but two don't have muffs so I'm guessing those are out of the Buff Orpington??? Could a Buff Orpington crossed with a Silver Ameraucana throw a black chick? Also, in the back you'll see a picture of Ameraucana #1 again.
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana #5, note the Ameraucana in the back too, I think that's the only picture I have of that one. Any guesses on that one?
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana #6 (Check out the one wild fuzz on it's head! It's been that way for about 2 weeks! LOL)
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock/Ameraucana, We'll call it a Rockaucana [​IMG]. This is the most friendly bird I have, jumps on my lap the minute I sit down. I suspected cockerel but the feathers aren't going that way to me...or I just really want her to be a her!
    [​IMG]

Thanks ahead for any imput. Also, if #1 is a roo he'll be for sale if anyone's interested. #1 is the sweetest bird in the whole group. You can pick it up without any complaints and waits until the feet are on the ground before walking away. If it's a pullet, it's the prettiest hen I've ever seen!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    #1 judging by it's legs(they're awful thick!) looks like a roo, could be wrong. need better pics. i have no idea on the others.

3. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Thanks for the input, I'm pretty sure #1's a roo too. Do you have no idea on the others because of the breed? What makes the others so difficult to sex? Age? So much easier to buy pullets from the feed store! LOL None of this guessing game!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    wow, what a neat bunch you are going to have there!

I love the mixes!

Personally, I dont see anything that makes me think any are roos, but that is probably cause they all look so unique. I would wait and see, maybe refrigerating your hatching eggs kills off the roo genes...lol

5. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Actually, 3 of the coloreful ones are Ameraucanas and two are Brahma/Ameraucana. The other 7 are black with varying from black black w/green (Ameraucana?) and Black w/Brown? I know there are some expert Ameraucana people on here and would love to hear from them.....but I love guessing too because that's how we learn and train our eye. I own a wine and beer bar and the most fun, besides drinking it [​IMG] is when we do our tastings and try to identify what your tasting in the beer or wine. Guessing at gender and breed is a lot like guessing at what's in a specific wine or beer!

Wouldn't it be something if refrigerating eggs before hatching killed off the roo gene? [​IMG] Maybe someone will add that to one of their studies! [​IMG] I would be the luckiest girl in the whole world if I didn't get any roos out of this hatch! Even if I got 3 roos I think I'd be pretty darn lucky!

Anyone else? I'll try to add more pictures! Thanks for your input Carols Clucks!

6. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Bumping this up hoping that I'll get some more input. Thanks![​IMG]

7. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Is there a better time post to get the most responses? When I posted this days ago, several had similar requests and lots of input while mine just moved down the page. I bumped it up yesterday and today is down to page 3 w/out any new posting. Any tricks to get some answers, next to begging? Please!:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I know how you feel, I can't get many guesses on my d'uccles either. I am so new to this, I think anything with a comb is a male, LOL!

9. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I was wonder as well the best time to post:) Anyways, here are my guesses, I am not very good as I am pretty new, but thus far this is what I think:

#1- Roo
    #2- Roo
    #3-Pullet
    #4-Pullet
    #5-Roo
    One in back of 5- Pullet
    #6- Pullet
    - Rockaucana- pullet(comb base is red but the over all look seems pulletish)

10. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Thanks Missymac! That's kind of what I was thinking. I have 5 more that I need to get on here. They're all black so I figured I'd give them a little more time to mature before posting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by