Yes- Runny poop

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
Hi -this is my first post. Also first time with babies.I have a 9 week old barred rock hen. She has caramel colored runny droppings. I swear it was not like this yesterday but one of the other chicks had runny poop yesterday. Should I automatically assume that they have cocci? Do they need antibiotics? They are all happy and healthy in appearance-eat and drink well and very active except for the intermittent runny poops. Is this normal? All they eat is Nutrena chick starter. The guy I bought it off said it was medicated but there is no indication on the bag that it is.
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for the poop pictures. The info really helped. The poop looks like the first one in the cecal section and now she seems to be sneezing? I honestly think the guy who sold them to us fibbed a little about the age. From all the pics I have found on here and other sites the chicks looked to be 3 weeks instead of the 8 weeks he told us they were. We got them as egg chickens but mostly as pets for the kids so that is why I am so concerned about their health. The kids would be devastated if one died.

Quote:
At three weeks they look pretty scruffy. Not fluffy chicks anymore and not chickens either. By eigth weeks they have all their feathers and look like real chickens. Only smaller.

If, they are just sneezing, with no runny noses, or, other discharges from the eyes or nose, I would suspect dust from their litter in the brooder. Dust bothers them the same as it does us. I hear mine sneeze now and then and it's usually from dust they have kicked up and things they have gotten into.

Back
Top Bottom