Yes - they can get over a 4' tall fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Our latest run improvements - a 4' tall fenced in area surrounding their coop & run. Plenty of room to enjoy being a chicken and piece of mind for me knowing they aren't roaming the neighborhood! But I guess the grass was greener by the house today because our 29 week old White Leghorn rooster, Foghorn, suddenly made an appearance at our back door! So, yes, they will go over a 4' tall fence - but not necessarily back over it.
    [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And that scarecrow of yours doesn't deter 'em? ;)

If my chickens can roost in the rafters of the former garage turned coop, they can certainly get over a four foot fence.

Bet Foghorn was mighty proud of himself, too!

3. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    I've had them roost in the top of a 40 ' Black Pine and fly over a 5' 2X4 fence around the garden, which they just giggle at when they saw it.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

HAHA! Yeah - he's on his last leg - but so far they've left him alone. They have pecked the heck out of the rooster one I have on the ground - it no longer has a spinning tail thanks to the chickens.

Foghorn was very proud of himself. My son yelled at me "mom did you know the rooster is at the door" - I was confused until I saw good old Foghorn wing dancing at my son through the french door. My guess is he tried to fly up to the 8' high bar over the gate I'm building and managed to keep going to the other side. I say this because when I shooed him back into the pen and closed the fencing around the doorway, he stood there staring at the top of it like he was contemplating another escape. Chickens - never a dull moment.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The other night I couldn't find 5 of my 8 week old chicks. I heard them but couldn't see um. Then I found them all on a 2X4 I have at the top of my coop 8 feet off the ground. How did they get up there, I have not a clue. So my guess is 4 ft. would just be a good jump without flying at all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I recently discovered that bantam Wyandottes laugh at 6 foot fences, also. But netting over the top wipes the smiles right off their beaks! [​IMG]

7. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    If you want to keep them in just clip there wings. This will greatly reduce the chance of them getting over that fence. I know it worked for me on my larger hens. If your not familar with wing clipping there are some great articles on here that will show you how easy it is. You can easily do it by yourself and it does not hurt them at all.

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

But don't do it with your 4-H birds! [​IMG]Last summer a family showed up with clipped wings on their d'uccles. The kids blamed the mom who said: " it was either clip the wings or watch the dog eat them when they flew over the fence!" [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THe scarecrow is on its last leg too.

10. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

You're right! Poor thing needs a peg leg....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by