Yes, they do like eggs

JessHeller

Chirping
Jul 7, 2015
Longmont Colorado
After reading from several different sources that its ok to feed your flock scrambled eggs I decided to give it a try. Yes, I was conflicted and this picture that I posted on Facebook certainly got a lot of negative, though funny, comments from my friends I have continued to cook them this dish weekly.

Here is Mathilda, just recovering from her molt, a New Hampshire Red, Mama, at the bottom of the pic, and Pam at the top, Australops, and Rhonda an Egyptian Fayoumis. These birds started out as my son's but have slowly become my charges and they are spoiled. I have to lock the dogs in the house when I do this because they'll try and muscle in on the goodies as well

Yeah it's funny what people think. I remember a friend with chickens being grossed out I fed them our dinner scraps because it had meat in it :)

They love meat sometimes they will even catch a mouse and eat it.
I read once that if you want to get eggs every day from your hens feed rhem
Meat in their diet every day
greens in their diet everyday
and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper everyday
Chickens have like only 200 taste buds I have noticed they don't like pickles

I feed our chickens all the scraps from our kitchen
Our black Australorp named Speckles always is the first one to jump in the compost she is weird

Guess I'm even weirder.
hide.gif
I hard boil older eggs that I haven't sold, cool them, and put them in a plastic grocery bag. That bag goes inside another plastic grocery bag and then I tie them shut, put them on the counter top, and start smashing and smooshing. I pound and I roll and I knead them until they are all broken up, shells and all. Then I take the bag out to the girls and they go to town! They love it, I love the extra protein they are getting, and the little extra eggshell calcium doesn't hurt either!

Funny but true story. I took 6 live chickens to my brother's place. I was overrun and he was short, so it worked out well for both of us. It was a 700 mile trip. (We were going back there for Thanksgiving anyway so not like a special trip just for the chickens). Anyway, we had them in a large stove box in the back of the van. We suspended a nipple waterer so they couldn't make big mess spilling, dumping, or walking through the water. A little food in there and they were good to go. They were such good girls - except for a couple of ill-timed cecal poops we didn't even know they were in there! We stopped halfway for a bite of lunch. We ate, then I figured I'd get them a treat too. So I went up to the counter, waiting my turn, (lunchtime at McDonald's!) and finally got my turn. I told the young lady that I wanted the biggest size salad they sold. She looked up at the menu board over her shoulder and said, "That's probably the Southwest Chicken Salad." I asked her what all was on that. I didn't want to give the girls something like a bunch of olives or onions or something.

She said, "Well, there's lettuce, lime, beans, tomato, cheese, grilled chicken....."

Oh, I couldn't help it! I burst out laughing, and I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath. I was literally holding on to the counter, almost crying down my leg! The other kids behind the counter and all of the customers thought I was crazy. Truth is I was tired and just plain punch drunk from the trip, and it just hit me wrong.

I finally calmed down and apologized for my outburst and explained that I had 6 live chickens out in my car and I was buying the salad for them. She got this really concerned look on her face.

"Um, I can leave the grilled chicken off."

"Nope," I told her. "Leave it on there...they love chicken. Just leave off the lime - I don't want them getting the idea that margaritas are being served with the salad!"

When I left there wasn't an unsmiling person in the place! And I had happy chickens! They ate every bite!

Guess I'm even weirder.
hide.gif
I hard boil older eggs that I haven't sold, cool them, and put them in a plastic grocery bag. That bag goes inside another plastic grocery bag and then I tie them shut, put them on the counter top, and start smashing and smooshing. I pound and I roll and I knead them until they are all broken up, shells and all. Then I take the bag out to the girls and they go to town! They love it, I love the extra protein they are getting, and the little extra eggshell calcium doesn't hurt either!

Funny but true story. I took 6 live chickens to my brother's place. I was overrun and he was short, so it worked out well for both of us. It was a 700 mile trip. (We were going back there for Thanksgiving anyway so not like a special trip just for the chickens). Anyway, we had them in a large stove box in the back of the van. We suspended a nipple waterer so they couldn't make big mess spilling, dumping, or walking through the water. A little food in there and they were good to go. They were such good girls - except for a couple of ill-timed cecal poops we didn't even know they were in there! We stopped halfway for a bite of lunch. We ate, then I figured I'd get them a treat too. So I went up to the counter, waiting my turn, (lunchtime at McDonald's!) and finally got my turn. I told the young lady that I wanted the biggest size salad they sold. She looked up at the menu board over her shoulder and said, "That's probably the Southwest Chicken Salad." I asked her what all was on that. I didn't want to give the girls something like a bunch of olives or onions or something.

She said, "Well, there's lettuce, lime, beans, tomato, cheese, grilled chicken....."

Oh, I couldn't help it! I burst out laughing, and I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath. I was literally holding on to the counter, almost crying down my leg! The other kids behind the counter and all of the customers thought I was crazy. Truth is I was tired and just plain punch drunk from the trip, and it just hit me wrong.

I finally calmed down and apologized for my outburst and explained that I had 6 live chickens out in my car and I was buying the salad for them. She got this really concerned look on her face.

"Um, I can leave the grilled chicken off."

"Nope," I told her. "Leave it on there...they love chicken. Just leave off the lime - I don't want them getting the idea that margaritas are being served with the salad!"

When I left there wasn't an unsmiling person in the place! And I had happy chickens! They ate every bite!

That is such a funny story I wish I was there
They must've liked that mcdonalds salad LOL

Back
Top Bottom