Yes!! They're alive!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    So basically 2 days ago my (home made) incubator temp was getting pretty low. It was on the highest setting (hard to explain how that happens) so I put a blanket over the front of it to warm it up! But......I forgot about it.. [​IMG] So I go check on the temp and see the blanket was still on it and freaked out! Immediately I pulled the blanket off the incubator. It was at exactly 108.0 degrees. So I opened it to try and cool it off. I was for sure they were dead!! Well I couldn't candle them right then because it was 1:00 in the morning and the candler was in the shop. I had to stay up til' 2:00 (a.m.) to get the temp back on track. I forgot to candle them yesterday to see if they were still alive. When I remembered it was 12:00 at night then and I was SO eager to see if they were dead or alive! I decided to take the top of a shoe box with a hole in it and put it over a lamp and tried to candle them and (I didn't think it would work, but it did). I saw in three of the eggs were still alive! I couldn't tell on the other three because they are larger and darker eggs and it was in a kinda light room. Today I remembered to just make sure they were alive and I candled one of the eggs because I was in a hurry and it was still alive! It was moving around and all! So excited!

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Dont worry about slip ups, we all do it. And sometimes doesnt even effect the eggs. Just think of a hen ontop of an egg.. and theits a 115 degree day.. the eggs will be alot hotter, so it should wll be fine. Just keeping it 108 for hours and hours is bad.. I buy LED flashlights for like 2 buvks for two and they work as good candlers.

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Nice! Me and my dad made a candler using a plastic coffee container and insulation stuff to put it in it with a hole on the top! Works great! xD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by