yes, yes...I'm a n00b...

MissAnnieFrannie

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
East TN
Greetings to all my new friends here at BYC!

My family is finally living somewhere with some land, and we are planning are turning my long time wish for chickens into reality! I fell in love with them years ago at my boyfriends family's home, and have had a soft spot ever since. Of course I am brimming with questions, though all the information on BYC that I have foun so far has been very VERY helpful! I have just thought of one thing tho that I am not quite clear on, and maybe it is kinda "duh", but what kind of cold weather is really considered cold (and hot as well) for chickens? We are planning on 3-4 standards of something hardy, perhaps RIR, but not sure yet...

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

FROM MASSACHUSETTS!!!!!!!!!

I'd go with any large, cold hardy breed. Other peple here can give you a better idea on which ones specifically!

Last edited:
MissAnnieFrannie
welcome-byc.gif
!! Not sure where you are located. If you let us know where you are in general I'm sure folks could help you better in choosing some chicks that will be hardy for your area. There are always some extreme weather conditions we can't plan for but all the folks here at BYC are very helpful and resourceful with ideas to solve any issues. Just ask. And welcome to the world of chicken madness!
clap.gif

Wow, that was fast! You guys are awesome!

Anywhoo, I am located in North East TN, kind of mountainous. summers can be pretty hot and winters pretty cool, all depends on how the wind blows
tongue.png

And thanks to everyone who have replied so far!

Welcome!

Our nights have been around -12C, and my girls are fine in their uninsulated barn with no heat lamp. No frostbite yet. If it gets to about -20 I will put up a heat lamp, as I did last year, but they didn't seem to really need it. they just need a draft free, but well ventilated area. As for hot--our summers get to around 30C and they are also fine--they willl seek out shade though. If you are concerned about well-being in the cold, choose a breed with small combs. or breed that have been developed to tolerate cold like buckeyes or chanteclers. My barred rocks do fine in the winter though--even the roo.

Most dual purpose breeds were kept throughout North America and are adapted to the cold quite well. Heat is another issue, really a harder issue. Big, highly feathered birds from the Northeast (like the RIR), might have some problems in the heat of Texas or Louisiana. But with enough shade and ventilation, they are kept there.

There are Mediterranean breeds that are more heat tolerant and less cold tolerant.

To a standard dual purpose breed like a sex-link, rock, wyandotte, red, etc., cold is really below 0 deg. fahrenheit for a prolonged period. If chickens are kept dry, with plenty of fresh air, they can weather just about anything.

Yeah, I think you need to be more concerned with heat tolerant birds. good luck!

eta, check out the tennessee thread to see what ppl in your area are raising.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks everyone for all the info!
smile.png
Heat tolerant....Besides ventilation, would there be anything else to consider in the design of my coop that would help my ladies out? I have kinda of sketched up what i have room for and was thinking, with 6'x4' coop, and app 50-60 sq ft enclosed, covered run. they would also be able to free range about 50% of the time as well.

Back
Top Bottom