Yes!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahFair, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    [​IMG] YES YES YES! [​IMG]
    I just called the zoning department and Im allowed to have goats and 1 pig.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now just to convince the SO this is an awesome idea [​IMG]

2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG]

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quick question...how did you find out who to call exactly? I know that we are zoned limited agricultural use, but I don't know what that means other than we live on site of a grain facility and I've been afraid to call in case they say no chickens, oops...too late and I'd hate to part with them but I'd be more worried about a fine. If it matters: we are county, not city, and many people around us have a menagerie of animals the least of which being chickens, but just wanted to be sure.

4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:I called my county zoning department. They should have all the info you need. Just dont let them know you have chickens.
    I just asked what the rules are for animals and they asked what I was looking to get and I said chickens (which I already have) goats and a pig. Just dont let them you know you have them.

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Thank you. I called and got the Planning Department and they only take messages and call you back whenever they feel like it, but hopefully they will be able to direct me and HOPEFULLY they will say as many birdies as you want [​IMG] Sorry to hijack your thread there, but it was kinda relevant... Oh and forgot to say, congrats! So what kind of goats and pig are you going to get?

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Oh dont worry about hyjacking! Anything to help a fellow BYCer [​IMG]

I dont know anything about goats or pigs cept I want them [​IMG]

I jk. I have been looking them up.

My SO says 'You can have goats but NO pig'

Ill just have to come home with a piglet one day [​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Congrats! What kind of goats are you considering? Dairy? Meat? Pet?

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Thanks! We are in the country kinda, but just outside of town and we have semi-near neighbors so I worry about that kind of thing. I'd hate to call on a neighbor's dog that was terrorizing my chickens just to have them tell me, "Well since you weren't supposed to have chickens in the first place we won't do anything about it but we will fine you." When we eventually move out to the much more rural country away from...well everyone...then I'll have my own petting zoo for just me to enjoy! Then I won't be so worried about what's allowed.

Haha, that's what my DH said about chickens. It was 3-5 chickens, then it was the 10 I brought home, then plus the 5 I snuck in, then the other day it was 16 chickens (I get to order more, yay). Now were at the 16 chicken limit and some geese, ducks, and turkeys are okay but "NOTHING ELSE DANIELLE!!!!" I've been looking into goats for a while, if/when I get goats I'm gonna get Nigerian Dwarfs and also the Fainting goats. For pigs I have no idea as I just started looking into it. I'd probably try to get one called a "Blue butt" just because I like the name. If it is going to be on my farm, it has to be silly! Good luck with your search, you should bring home a cute little piglet and tell you SO that he can just deal with it. Or do what I do. Let him catch you researching and when he says, "I thought I said no to (insert animal here)" you can smile sweetly and say, "I know darling, but I'm just curious, I'm not buying, I'm just looking at these cuties." Then sigh very solemnly and go back to looking at pigs. I know it's kinda evil, but our men want to please us and by letting us have our animals they do!
    P.S. Look at my siggy, then you'll know where I stand on getting what you want...

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:haha I love your greatgrandfather for saying that!

and as far as what kind of goats I want..
    IDK. Something good looking. I dont like real hairy things.. and I dont like short and stocky either..
    any suggestions?
    I need them to eat stuff. I dont want to eat them and I guess I can give my kids its milk if need be..

10. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Oh the milk tastes SOOOO good. I was really unsure if it would be tasty but I got some from a friend for soap making and for my "dog" to eat. And my "dog" said it tastes good. You are not allowed to sell or give it away though just so you know (at least here) but you can obviously drink it in your own house. That's why I'm looking into Nigerian Dwarves as one doe produces more than enough milk for a small family per day and they are small without looking bloated. They are NOT a pygmy, pygmies have that keg on legs look but the Nigis look like a normal goat with normal proportions, just smaller. Also Nigis are dual purpose in that you can eat the meat but I consider them triple purpose which usually means you can show them (which you can) but I mean that also they are pet quality. Oh, and they are so cute! You never know for sure what color they will be as it changes a bit as they grow but even a pair with the same markings can throw a kid that looks completely different. I love it! Also, they have a good food to milk ratio added to that with them being smaller it means that you have less food costs than a larger doe and plenty of milk for your family with probably enough to also make cheese, yogurt, ect and also goat milk soap which is luxurious! Obviously I love Nigis and have researched it extensively. PM me whenever you want but also do some research to know what you like. I also like La Manchas because it looks like they don't have ears so they meet my silly requirement. Oh, and like I said before, the fainting goats (I think they are small too) and they are pretty silly! Go with what you like and what you want to deal with. If you get a milking breed and you don't want to milk them, no biggie, don't breed her or if you do breed her, leave the kid with her. She will only produce up to the demand. I have to stop before this is longer, but seriously, PM me whenever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by