Yesss!! Getting some quails this saturday! :D + questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magicpigeon, Jan 24, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm not exactly "new" to quail breeding but my experience was INCREDIBLY limited to paddy's market quality jap quails...already about 2 months old. I'm getting 5 x 3 week old quail chicks this Saturday and have some questions:

1. What temperature should my brooder be?
    2. Can I feed my quail chicken starter? And for how long?
    3. When can quail chicks be moved outside permanently?
    4. Is 5 sufficient enough to almost safely have a female and a male? I'm trying not to get too many but obviously if I only get 2 the chances are...[​IMG]
    5. Can Jap quails go broody? If not, are doves/pigeons/silkie hens a close approximation? lol [​IMG]
    6. What is the lifespan of a non-hatchery, breeder quality quail?

I'll post some pics once I get them. I'm planning on getting 2 fawns, 1 brown and a white.[​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    2. Can I feed my quail chicken starter? And for how long?

No. You need game bird starter. The protein level of chick starter is way too low.​

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:4. Is 5 sufficient enough to almost safely have a female and a male? I'm trying not to get too many but obviously if I only get 2 the chances are...[​IMG]One male to 3-8 females is best.
    5. Can Jap quails go broody? If not, are doves/pigeons/silkie hens a close approximation? lol [​IMG]
    6. What is the lifespan of a non-hatchery, breeder quality quail?Don't count on broodiness, that is very rare. If housed right they can live up to 5+ years. Normally about three or four.

I'll post some pics once I get them. I'm planning on getting 2 fawns, 1 brown and a white.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:
    Bobwhite Quail Lover please stop posting incorrect information. Coturnix quail can lay at 6 weeks. In the summer they can go in an outside brooder as soon as they hatch. At around 6 weeks coturnix reach full maturity. These are NOT bobwhites.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:#1: You should have the brooder as close to 100* as you can get the first week then lower it 5* every week after that.
    #2: Quail should have higher protein though I've raised all mine on a 20% flock raiser and they did just fine.
    #3: Moving them outside depends on what time of year and your temperatures. I usually move mine outside when they are around 3-4 weeks old if the temps are in the 60's or higher. Lower than that and they wait til they are at least 6 weeks old.
    #4: 5 chicks? That might work, though you could end up with all of one sex even with that, just the luck of the draw.
    #5: Rarely (think 'near impossible')
    #6: 3-5 years I believe, hatchery or not. Males live longer usually. It's more about how you manage them, if you keep the hens laying year-round non-stop they won't live much past 1-2 years.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:4. Is 5 sufficient enough to almost safely have a female and a male? I'm trying not to get too many but obviously if I only get 2 the chances are...[​IMG]One male to 3-8 females is best.
    6. What is the lifespan of a non-hatchery, breeder quality quail?Don't count on broodiness, that is very rare. If housed right they can live up to 5+ years. Normally about three or four.

You can keep 1 male with 1 female, it just depends on the birds.

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG] Just one more thing- is fawn recessive or dominant over white and brown? Just wanting to know, I don't want to completely breed out pure white [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    White is recessive to everything (incomplete dominant over tibetan), fawn is recessive to brown. If you want to hatch white birds you'll need 1 of each sex...or you'll have to do a lot of crossing back to 'pick it back up'.

10. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Brown is dominant, and white is recessive. Not completely sure about fawn but think t is recessive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by