Yest Flakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Nov 7, 2009.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I hate to make a new thread... But couldn't find any Brewer's Yeast Tablets for my ducks with foot sores. Will yeast flakes work?

Tia

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What kind of yeast are the flakes? I don't think it matters whether they are flakes or tablets, just what kind of yeast. Brewer's yeast is what you want.

If you can't find the brewer's yeast, you can put niacin powder in their water, which is what I do. It's a little more trouble and you have to be more precise, but the niacin is easily available at any drug store or Walmart or such. Look in the "supplements" or "vitamins" section for niacin gel capsules. You want the sort that is NOT "flush-free," because the "flush-free" contains additional chemicals. And time-release is not ideal either, though I've used it successfully (it just doesn't dissolve as well). And you want gel caps, because you're going to open them up over the water and mix it in. You want to use no more than 500 mg per gallon of water, but I've had good success with 250 mg per gallon. Be careful, because you can overdose the ducks using this form of niacin, so never go over the 500 mg maximum, but since you're already having deficiency problems you might want to go ahead and get close to the maximum until the symptoms disappear. Then you can bring it back down to the 250 mg range.

Good luck!

3. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i hope my duck feed has enough niacin in, i read about that in storeys guide, i bought the feed from a duck feed company so it must have enough in

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I bought my feed from a feed company here in Alaska.. you think it would have been okay.... I will have to go look at my flakes... it said yeast flakes, but I don't think it said brewer... I already put some on their food... I hope I didn't use too much....
    Tia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by