Yesterday Hen was Falling Over, Today Seems Fine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluenow, Nov 7, 2016.

1. bluenow

bluenow Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Yesterday morning I went to let my girls out, and one of them kept falling over. When she would try and walk she would fall to the right side, using her wing for balance. I thought maybe she got into some liquor, cause she looked drunk haha. I gave her a thorough look over, and didn't see anything that caused me any concern. I started doing research, and reading about Mareks (and the host of other problems that could have these same symptoms), and was getting pretty concerned. I isolated her from the others in a crate, and kept an eye on her the rest of the day. Poop seemed normal, she was eating and drinking fine.

I read that it could be caused by egg binding, and she's very small and has had problems in the past, so this morning I thought I'd put her back into the coop by herself to see if she wanted to try and lay an egg. I put her down, and to my surprise she seemed completely normal. Walking around, ran right over to the food, like nothing had ever happened.

This is great! But a little suspicious. Could it be something as simple as she sprained an ankle jumping up onto something, or jumping down? If it was something more serious I wouldn't think it would come and go so quickly, which is why I'm posting the question. Would love to hear any thoughts people have. Thanks!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It could be a mineral she is lacking? What do you feed????
    To many treats?

3. bluenow

Nov 15, 2013
    This is what I feed them. It's supposed to be really good for them. And she's the top hen in the coop, so she's eating as much as she wants. With the rain there's been a lot of grass sprouting up, which they love. And they've been digging like crazy for worms. Maybe she was filling up too much on that stuff?

s [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Coccoid can cause that to if area is wet.......It thrives in wet conditions....Possibly not the issue if she is fine now......Best advise is to keep an eye on her....

I really never medicate my Birds....I never have issues though either......

Cheers!

5. bluenow

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks everyone. She's been fine since!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by