yesterday I caught my cat...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmergal, Nov 10, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    ...drinking out of the toilet!! It was quite an impressive balancing act, he's an orange tabby and not that big... spraddled across the seat with his head in the bowl. Of course, when I walked in and caught him in the act, he immediately jumped down and walked away stiffly, as if saying, "nothing happened, you didn't see anything, I don't know what you're talking about."

I thought only dogs did this. Anybody else catch their cat drinking out of the porcelain palace? Guess I'll have to keep the lid down from now on....

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My cat Rudi flushes the toilet. Sounds like a wonderful trick until you realize that he keeps doing it and it will fill up the septic tank. UHHG! I learned to keep the bathroom door shut.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] Rudi sounds like an interesting cat!
    I have a cat now that drinks from the toilet even though I keep a fresh bowl of water right next to it.
    I used to have one that taught himself to pee in the toilet. The toilet was upstairs and it took me months to figure out what he was doing. I would hear the tinkeling noise and by the time I got upstairs the cat was already gone. Eventually I saw him doing it.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah... that's why the toilet seat lid stays closed at my house! Max the Cat likes to splash around in there and fling water everywhere. [​IMG]

Max has also learned how to chew on the faucet handle in the bathtub. It makes the water come out in a trickle. Once he turns it on he happily jumps in and slurps away. Darn cat likes to drink only fresh water.
    [​IMG]

6. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Yup, my cat does (my dog doesn't). My cat, Kisha, is a rather tubby critter and once I caught her in the act, she got startled and slipped in...from now on when I see her drinking out of the toilet, she stops and glares at me looking rather ticked off...

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I really think Rudi thinks he's a dog. He fetches and everything but still has all the royal type attitude attached. He's 13 y/o and he's used up all his extra lives. (survived a pitbull attack, a spent night out on the coldest night of the year in Pa, tries to swallow fishing line, stuck behind the sheet rock in a basement wall and I could go on and on) But I dont think I've ever caught him drinking out of the toilet.

8. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Heehee. My cat Jasper sounds a lot like Rudi. He's an awesome fetcher... will bring back aluminum foil balls for hours.
    Speaking of which, I can't believe I actually used to spend money on cat toys! Jasper wouldn't play with most of them, but he goes crazy for a crumpled-up piece of aluminum foil. I hear thuds and crashes all night long... Jasper getting too excited chasing his aluminim foil and bumping into things!

PS -- Skyesrocket, that's amazing! Imagine what that would save in kitty litter. Now if you just combined your cat with jbowyer's cat, and you'd have the most polite cat ever: one that peed and then flushed.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've heard warnings to not train the potty using cats to flush, because they easily get so caught up in flushing, they'll do it all day along!

10. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    I have a couple that prefer to drink from the toilet. Is even more interesting when the seat is up. They position quite well on all porcelain. Agile lil varmints.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by