Yesterday I lost one of my chickens...

Gypsygirl

In the Brooder
May 8, 2016
North Carolina
yesterday morning when I went to my barn one of my Plymouth Rocks did not look good. She was 9 yes old. I told my husband that I think that I will loss her. Sure enough when I went to go and check on her 2 hrs later she was gone. She wasn't sick she just died of old age. Made me really sad cause I had her since she was a day old. In July she would of been 10. My chicks are doing well & growing like a weed. My other 4 old ones who are almost 10 where sad, they just stood there and looked at her. I buried her in my back yard. I miss her I do hope that she did not have to suffer. Well, just wanted to share my sadness with you guys. I have one question, when can my Orphington chicks eat grass? They are almost 10 wks. old. Thank you.

Hi and sorry for your loss, but 9 years old is a fair old age.

As long as you 10 week olds have access to grit / the outdoors then theres no problem with them roaming around and pecking at whatever takes their fancy.

CT

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss
hugs.gif
After awhile sometimes our birds start to feel like one of the family and they are much missed when they leave.

Regarding the grass, yes, absolutely. As CTKen said above, just make sure they have access to grit as well.

How sad to lose one you had for so long. Take comfort that she lived a long, happy life. Sorry for your loss.

I very much admire how well you have cared for you babies - I am not yet at a year of chicken ownership, and find that taking care of these birds so that they don't get sick and die - is a difficult path, and as a novice - I have made so many mistakes. I can only hope that one day I will be able to say one of my chickens made it to almost 10 years old.

So sorry for your loss - after almost 10 years, I'm sure that this was more than devasting. You are a great mama and your newest ones are so lucky that they ended up with you.

I am sorry for your loss. Any pet is hard to lose. Before we got our chickens I actually called around to find "chicken rescues" willing to take our birds when they age out of laying. Now that we have our girls we realize they aren't going anywhere, eggs or not. They will be with us for life.

Thank you so much for your beautiful words. Yes I am sad but I know she had a great life and was loved by us so much. Our other chickens are spoiled rotten too. I love getting up in the morning to see my little babies. They knock on the barn door cause they want to come out. I love my chickens.

I could tell from what you had written that this was not a chicken but rather your chicken. I could tell she was special. I'm sure she k ew you thought she was special too.

Back
Top Bottom