yet another angel wing thread

Ekaufee17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hey guys. Have another question for you problem solvers... I picked up two juvenile mallards three days ago. One of them has a messed up wing (will post pics tomorrow), thinking its angel wing. The ducks were bought from TSC the first or second week of march. But are pretty much already full grown... the back story is that a couple of kids I know were at the store buying supplies for a school project and impulsively bought some ducks for their apartment (makes no sense, I know). Little did they realize, ducks get big and become harder to take care of, so I took them off their hands. Okay so back to the angel wing. The ducks were fed chick starter but apparently ate a ton of bread and other human foods. The right wing of the male kind of twists upside down at the end and hangs down off his body a bit. I've been reading through older angel wing threads on here and have a general idea of what to do, ie natural diet, some sort of sling apparatus. I tried an ace bandage type of thing... no luck. Slipped right out. Then "borrowed" a pair of panty hose from my sis, cut it into a sleeve and tried to slip it over him. Works for about thirty minutes, then he finds a way to get out of that. Any other ideas...? The bird is still young enough that there is at least a chance it can be corrected. Help please! I have had numerous ducks, including 12 now, and have never run into angel wing before.

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Can you have someone help you wrap it? I've had the best luck with using vet wrap. I've tried ace bandages and they've never really worked for me either.

Ekaufee17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
thanks miss lydia that helped a ton! now one more question... my ducklings flight feathers are coming in now... one of my swedish however has his protruding irregularly... none of the others are sticking out quite like his are. is this normal? i cant remember any of my adults having this when they were young. im hoping im being overly paranoid now, but if it is angel wing i want to correct it before any damage is done.

Ekaufee17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
and another with him next to one of my pekins/khakis/mallards. none of them seem to have the problem and all have blood feathers coming in

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
and another with him next to one of my pekins/khakis/mallards. none of them seem to have the problem and all have blood feathers coming in
Looks like the start of angel wing I would go ahead and wrap, better safe than sorry. Those are some cuties by the way.

Last edited:

Top Bottom