Yet another Avian Flu thread

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Seabee john, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Set up a protective defense zone around my property, complete with mine field and trip wires.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Outfit my chickens with little tyvek suits and gas masks.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Shoot everything that attempts to cross my perimeter.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gather all my chickens into my arms and rock forward & backward while softly sobbing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Break out the vodka for me and the chickens for one last hurrah before we all die a horrible death.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Install a webcam and microphone in the coop so you can tell when to grab your chickens, guns, and go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pour another cup of coffee, and relax, because nothing's going to happen to my chickens.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seabee john

Seabee john Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    Elk River, Minnesota
    Not to rehash old stuff, but more to see if we've learned any thing more...

Deadly Bird Flu Strain Jeopardizes Minn. Turkey Exports

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3727146.shtml?cat=1

(Sent from KSTP)

I live in Mn, and have family that live in turkey growing areas...

Do I:

A. Quarantine my chickens?

B. Shoot all family members at the property line?

C. Break out the vodka for me and my girls because the chicken apocalypse is upon us?

It may be a little early on a Saturday morning for humor, but I do wonder what actions I should take (if any)...

What say you?

2. pixiechicks

pixiechicks New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    That is one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time!
    [QUOTE="Seabee john, post: 14898582, member: 0"]Not to rehash old stuff, but more to see if we've learned any thing more...

Deadly Bird Flu Strain Jeopardizes Minn. Turkey Exports

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3727146.shtml?cat=1

(Sent from KSTP)

I live in Mn, and have family that live in turkey growing areas...

Do I:

A. Quarantine my chickens?

B. Shoot all family members at the property line?

C. Break out the vodka for me and my girls because the chicken apocalypse is upon us?

It may be a little early on a Saturday morning for humor, but I do wonder what actions I should take (if any)...

What say you?[/QUOTE]

3. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Chicken apocalypse [​IMG]
    To my knowledge, unless the virus mutated, avian flu is transmitted bird-human, but not human-human. So as long as your family wouldn't come in contact with the turkeys, and then your chickens, it should be fine.
    OR just in case you could tell your family to stay the hell away for a few months! [​IMG]

But I would definitely keep your birds pinned up for a while. If it started in domestic birds, it could spread to wild birds, which can spread to your birds. The CDC usually takes control of anything like this really fast, so I doubt it'll be a problem for too long. It says in the article that they're even testing backyard flocks near the facility, so I think it will stay contained.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    These outbreaks do occur occasionally. The authorities jump on it really quickly because of the economic consequences to American exports. They probably restrict interstate transport too. They have a certain protocol they follow, which will mean testing every flock, commercial or private, in a certain radius of any disease found. I don’t know how close it was to where you are. If you are not in the testing range you are not at much risk.

Just enhance regular biosecurity measures a bit. Make sure you don’t wear the same shoes you wore to the feed store to feed your chickens. You should do that any way. Do you really want to be seen in public in poopy shoes? Restrict any friends or relatives that work at those infected turkey farms from visiting your chickens for a while.

No vodka. Go with bourbon instead, it tastes better. Or for those special occasions with your chickens toast them with a bit of cognac, VSOP or better quality. Noting is too good for your birds, right?

1 person likes this.
  5. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I thought of a better way to phrase it. Russia doesn't wan tot import out turkeys, stop importing their vodka. Teach them a lesson.

7. Seabee john

Seabee john Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    Elk River, Minnesota
    Heh.. Funny stuff. I do like a good bourbon now and then. I don't import too much Russian vodka, I found a great domestic made right here in Minnesota that I enjoy daily "Prarie" brand, made in Prinston.

I'm not incredibly worried about the chickens, although, I did purchase a half dozen chicks last week at the local farm store. 3 Buff Orphingtons & 3 Buff Wyandottes, but they will be separated from the flock for at least another month.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Most instances of this seem to spread when domestic fowl come in contact with wild waterfowl. Routine biosecurity
    (foot baths between yards, covered runs to keep wild birds out, sanitizing feeders and drinkers at the end of each day, etc.) are good ways to prevent it from entering your flock.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by