1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet another blue splash question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Simple-country, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Simple-country

Simple-country Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Last year I acquired a splash Orpington pullet. This year I went out and found a super nice blue cockerel. I have had them in a breeding pen by themselves for over 2 months with another splash pullet. In the last couple days, one of my hens has hatched out 5 babies. Now here is the question. Out of her eggs, she has 2 splash, 1 blue, and 2 BLACK. How did this happen? I can't find an answer anywhere since blue and splash are suppose to be 50% blue/50% splash.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    were all possible egg donors given at least 14 days of taking eggs away before you saved any to hatch? If any of egg donors were exposed to another rooster and you did not take eggs, that could be what happened.

3. Simple-country

Jan 6, 2015
    Yes! That's why I'm so stinking confused! They are next door to wheaten ameraucanas and no one on the other. No one has been with them since I moved them from their original pen over two months ago! Besides I have no black roosters anywhere on the farm.

4. Simple-country

Jan 6, 2015
    Also the only eggs she is hatching out were ones that she and her sister donated. She was broody so did all the work herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by