Yet another "chicks under broody" question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WickeeChickee, Mar 9, 2014.

1. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a year old buff orp hen who insists on being broody. The is the second time she's gone broody - I put her in broody jail last time and it worked - but this time I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get her a couple of chicks. I get the whole "sneak them under her at night and keep an eye on them" thing, but what I don't quite understand is:

1. Should I just let her stay in the same nesting box (we only have two for six hens) or move her and chicks to a separate crate or something?

2. If she does stay in same nesting box with chicks, how will the chicks get down out of the coop since there's a ramp?

3. Any insight on how the rest of the hens will deal with a couple of new chicks in the nesting box?

Really appreciate y'alls input and advice! Thanks so much and Happy Spring!

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    1. I let mine stay in the nest till they jump out a day or 2 after hatching.
    2. They will jump out and the hen and chicks will sleep on the ground.
    3. I seperate mine because just a casual peck from another hen can kill a chick and my hens are vicious when they have chicks and attact the other chickens when ever they get within 5 ft.

3. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Thank you so much for the input! I will separate them for sure.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I leave my broodies in the flock and they do fine.

chicks will follow momma, up or down the ramp. She may get them all outside and chose to stay there to sleep, or she may take them all back in the coop.

Yes, a mature hen can kill a chick with a peck, but in my experience they don't mess with momma hen. As the chicks get older the other hens do peck them occasionally, to teach them manners, but there's no injuries. Just a quick peck saying "get out of my way, little punk" and the chick throws a fit and runs back to momma. Momma basically says "yeah, next time get out of her way" and that's that. Chicks that grow up in the flock learn good chicken manners and you don't have to worry about integration issues later on.

The most important thing is...do you have enough space for the chicks? Everyone being able to get out of each other's way is key to flock harmony. The chicks need to be able to get away from the other hens, and the broody momma needs to be able to rest with her babies in peace. If your coop is at all crowded now, hold off on the chicks.

5. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Thank you for all your advice - I really appreciate it! We have more than enough room in the coop for a couple more chickens, and they have free range of our large backyard during the day, so I know they would be fine as far as space goes. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to pass on some much needed knowledge!:)

6. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    ***UPDATE***
    Heading to feed store here shortly to pick up some day old Australorps for my Broody. Question, since I have to wait til tonight to sneak them under Broody, [​IMG] should I go ahead and feed/water them during the day today? Will that make them less likely to take to Broody? I know they're supposed to be good for around three days after hatching but it's gonna bother me to just stick them under a lamp with nothing, so I thought I'd ask y'all for some opinions/advice instead of stewing about it and bothering my poor patient hubby at work with my worries! [​IMG]

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They need feed & water regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by