Yet....ANOTHER COLD WEATHER ?

Leisa1968

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Asheville, NC
I know... I know... these questions have been asked A MILLION times! But to make myself feel better, and to be able to sleep at night.....ok, its getting down to about 20 degrees at night. They are in an outside coop, banties, 6 of them..... they go in their coop house to roost at night but I have kept the door open so they can go out in the mornings before I can get out there to let them out. My son recaently set up a surveylance system for me.....maybe not such a good thing cause now I can see them at night and worry even more. Are they going to be ok this winter with pine bedding but the door being open to their house?
Thanks for the help:rolleyes:

As long as they are not baby chicks with no feathers or completely naked for some other reason, they are fine. Ever worn a down coat? You'll be nice and comfortable outside in 20 degrees in one...and your chickens have them built in.
smile.png

Chickens don't usually die from the cold, wild birds live just fine outside in the worst of conditions. I am a new chicken owner too and I have the same questions. My hens have a very nice secure coop that is not insulated or heated, they wear a down coat and so they stay warm all snuggled together on their roost in cold weather. I live in NC but even those in Alaska and Canada keep chickens quite well. As long as they have a draft free, ventilated coop, they will be fine (or so I tell myself)
roll.png

Thank you so much. I live in Western NC also. They are fully feathered so I will trust that they will be fine. I'm still new at this so I am still a nervous mommy.
Thanks for the help:)

Colorado here....-29 already...mine are all fine, a bit of frostbite on a few, I also put a curtain covering their pop door, to keep the winds out, I leave mine open as you do.

They actually go out in the cold...crazy birds! I wish it were 20* here at night!

Back
Top Bottom