1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet another color question - 2 photos

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by draftiemama, Feb 15, 2013.

1. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    Why do the yearlings have this color in the white on their cheeks? Mother is black shoulder and dad is a india blue. Unless the hen strayed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    the colour on the males cheek looks almost like blood? Though this colouring can be attributed to diet (high corn diet can often cause the yellow too) and/or the presence of green peafowl genetics (parents may not show it, but if both carry them, they can be expressed in their offspring).

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    my peas are totaly free ranged and they eat wild flower pettles and i noticed there skin around their eyes has changed to a bright yellow so mabe it is something in their diet.

I do have some with green blood but i still think their diet is what makes the skin look yellow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Zazouse, your pictures are amazing!

5. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

as are her violet eyes... (not hitting on her, just blown away at a pic in another thread ...)

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If she ever gets a bunch published in a 'coffee table' book, I would definately buy it!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Ditto!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by