yet another crele question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nthehunt, Mar 22, 2012.

1. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    I've got some eggs in the bator. Dominique roo and bbr hen, I know I cross those pullets back on the dominique but do I need a duckwing color to produce true crele?

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Yes. That project would not result in any true crele. You would get a cacaphony of mostly Bronze Cuckoo, then some Cuckoo, Barred, and maybe a few Red Creles.

Banny

3. nthehunt

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    cool thanks, silver or gold duckwing?

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Well, Silver would produce Silver Crele, Golden duckwings are mutts (and there has never and will never be such a thing as a Golden Duckwing hen - best just avoid goldens), and Golds would produce true Crele. Red Duckwing (BBR) would produce Red Crele (which some believe to be the true Crele ~ there is some debate on that).

Banny

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you want Crele you use Barred + Black Breasted Red
    If you want Silver Barred Duck-wing then you use Barred + Silver Duck-wing

Crele is only Gold based and there is no "Silver Crele" color.

Chris

6. nthehunt

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    that's what I thought, no silver crele

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    If you want crele you can not back cross to the domi.

Back-cross one of the male F1 ( domi x BBR= F1) to the BBR hen. This cross will produce some BC1F1 chicks with the chipmunk gold down color that are barred. Hatch as many chicks as you can so that you can get a gold/ barred male. There will be other varieties produced.

Then back cross a BC1F1 gold /barred male with the BBR hen = crele offspring and BBR offspring

Keep back crossing the best typed gold barred male (crele) to the best type BBR hen. Once you have established the type in your crele- then cross a male crele with a female crele. The lighter males that are produced will have two barring genes. Then use the lighter colored males (two barring genes) to breed with crele females.

You will also have the rose comb and yellow skin to deal with. By back crossing you will eliminate both. Yellow skin is recessive so it may pop up in your birds. Keep track of the birds that you use for breeding and do not breed any birds male or female that produce yellow skin birds.

I have to go and will double check the breeding regimen after work.

Tim

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by