Yet another DE question....did I get the right kind?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, May 16, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I went to the co-op today to pick up my order of feed and I asked if they sold DE. I was surprised that they did; however the man helping me did not know whether it was food grade or not. He said the only thing he did know about it was that they carry it at the request of a few people in our area that grow their gardens organically.
    Here's what the label says:
    Earthsafe Organics (that's the product name)
    Diatomaceous Earth, Non-plant food product

The only precautions on the label says: We recommend wearing a respirator or maske when handling this OR any dusty powder. Avoid contact with skin as DE can act as a drying agent. Is this the right stuff?
    It wasn't expensive, so I went ahead and got some figuring I could use it in my garden if I can't use it with the chicks.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The bag I bought actually gave instructions on how to mix it with food for animals or humans. I'd be leary...

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    IF IT DONT SAY "FOOD GRADE" ON THE BAG, I WOULD NOT USE IT!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, this is what I found on the company's website:
    Diatomaceous Earth
    Works by its ability to absorb the insects' body fluids, and removes their wax coatings due to D.E.'s sharp edges. A light dusting anywhere control is needed, or mix one to two tablespoons per gallon of water. Will not harm birds or earthworms.
    Guess I'll call them on Monday to be sure.

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    It needs to say "Codex" on it. I wouldn't use it until you're sure. Do they have a website (the company who makes it, I mean)?

It will say food grade or Codex on it, if it is. Otherwise, it could be dangerous to your chickens. Something that's safe for your garden could possibly be NOT safe for your chickens.

If it's the bad kind, it may also say something on it about using it for swimming pool filters. Maybe you could check for that.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Their website is very non-detailed, to say the least [​IMG] Maybe call their number and see if they can give you a better idea of what grade it really is.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, I'm gonna call them on Monday. All I know is that it's organic and now that I think about it, the guy at the co-op told me that besides selling it to organic gardeners, people also buy it to worm their dogs. So I'm thinkin' it's safe, but gonna call to be sure.

8. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
  9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just FYI. I called the company today to ask if their DE was "food grade", since the label only says that it is a Non-plant food product. It IS food grade. The lady answered my question right after I told her I was calling about their DE, before I could even ask the question.

10. dmp015

dmp015 New Egg

May 20, 2009
    Abita Springs Louisiana
    That is so funny...I just bought the same DE from my feed store and was looking up to make sure that it is food grade. My tub actually has a sticker that says feed grade, but I was having doubts. The name of the company is Carl Pool Products in Texas...so of course I was concerned it was REALLY for pools.

Thanks for checking that out...now I dont have to call in the morning. I love this site!!!!

Damon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by