Yet another "is it too cold" post...opinions please??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 1stepcloser, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    We are in TN and I have a small flock of 6. The head hen leads with an iron beak and my 4 babies (OK, they are 7 months old now) are still scared to death of her so there is no huddling together for warmth. Because I am in TN the girls bunk in an old playhouse that is completely uninsulated. I have deep liter on the floor and keep a light on at night (60 watt...not a heat bulb) to keep the frost at bay.

Well, we are in the negatives with the wind chill now AND we have some snow to contend with. The birds hate the snow and are hanging out under my deck but do not put themselves into their coop unless they are ready to lay. Should I be moving them to the garage for a while or are they OK? Should I change the regular light bulb out for a heated one? They have stopped running to meet me although they will peek out for warm oatmeal. What do you think?? (Sorry...just stressing over here!)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

What do YOU think you should do?

3. 1stepcloser

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I have NO idea. I am new at this!! I think I should go out and buy a giant prebuilt coop that is wired and insulated that I can lock them up in (mine has too small square footage to keep them contained 24 hours a day) until this icky weather passes...but my husband would KILL me. LOL

ETA: Just adding they had a wonderful coop until the stupid neighbor complained. Our ordinances say we cannot have a structure EXCLUSIVELY for livestock so we had to dismantle it. They now freerange around the back yard. [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ok then. What would make you most comfortable and less stressed?

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Poulet is right in that you should do what will make you feel comfortable. As for what they can handle, well alot:) Yours may not enjoy the snow but that doesn't mean they are in danger of freezing!

6. 1stepcloser

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I get what you are saying Poulet. Thank you. [​IMG] I guess what I was wondering if they are in any physical danger being out there? I don't have a great way to move them into the garage although I am sure I could figure it out if it is too cold for them. That being said, I don't want to baby them TOO much. LOL!! Is the shelter they have adequate in YOUR opinion seeing as you have more chicken experience than I? If yes, I will relax. If no, I will start rearranging the garage now. [​IMG]

7. parrillofarms

parrillofarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    i think they will be fine but the important thing is if you think they are okay being outside or inside you will feel better about the health of your chickens. they will be okay but bring them in if you are concerned.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    One thing that helps is if they are under your deck, they are out of the wind so wind chill should not be a factor.

Don't feel bad for fretting over your birds, many of us are doing that right now due to the fact that we are not used to these cold temps. My gut reaction is to leave them closed up in the coop, but I know they are more miserable being cooped up than being out freeranging with their feathers almost getting blown out by the wind!

By the way, I have family in Middle Tennessee(Clarksville to be exact).

Stay warm!

9. 1stepcloser

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Hey...I am in Clarksville! [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know what temps you're getting down there. I guess I would ask...are you worried about them surviving or just being cold and cramped? The cramped you're not going to be able to do much about...you've got to work with what you've got. Based on most BYC folks opinions, they'll survive this cold snap...I'm doubting you guys are dropping below 0F??? I'm probably in the minority of folks who do provide a little heat for my girls (I only have 5), because it eases my mind that they have a little comfort available if they want to use it. That being said, my pop door (so far) is always open during the day so that they have the option to go outside... As others have said, you have to do what makes you feel more comfortable... I think in my area we're supposed to hit the 30s again by next Tuesday...I'm SO hoping...Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by