Yet another low egg production question..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by churchillcoop, Sep 21, 2011.

1. churchillcoop

churchillcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    Hi there! I need help. I have 24 hens and get 1-3 eggs per day.. this has been since July I would say. All are pullets.. mix of Red Sex links, Ameraucanus and black sex links. I have a nice big run and plenty of coop space. They eat layer pellets and lots of veggie scraps. Can I get some tech support..I am sure that I have a major variable out of sink. Thanks so much for any feed back.

Jeff

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    How old are your Hens?
    Have they been molting or going broody.
    Have they been sick recently?
    What are your housing size for the num. of hens?
    There are so many variables when talking about why they are not laying. Are the roos harassing them to much? Etc.
    Having said that a lot of times sexlinks will just lay all they are suppose to and quit. Each hen has a certain num. of eggs and if they lay everyday they will quit sooner. Some will lay for 2 or three yrs. others will lay 8 yrs if they are heritage types. Let us know what you have. Gloria Jean

3. churchillcoop

churchillcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    They are molting now but it has been going on most of the summer:) The hens are between 9months - 2years old. Most are 9months. No signs of sickness at all. Only one rooster and he is 9months and not very "manly" yet. Would not having water in the coop at night affect egg production? That is the only variable I can see that could be "off". I just have it in the run. The run is 20' x 30'. Thanks!!

Jeff

4. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    They shouldn't need water at night. Mine don't have it and they are fine. They go kind of catatonic at night anyway and wouldn't be up and about for water anyway.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Are you sure they are not laying? Maybe you have egg eaters in your group or snake or rats coming in. All are very sneaky. gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by