Yet another Muscovy breeding Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Oct 23, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I just got muscovy duckings last summer, so this coming spring will be my first breeding season with them.
    Do I need to keep them seperated from my other ducks? I don't want mules. I have read somewhere if you have muscovy hens, the muscovy drakes will only breed with them. Is this true? [​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    He will breed them all, and you need to seperate them... Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:It really depends on the bird.. I have noticed.. I have drakes that were only raised with Muscovys ducklings that wolnt touch any other breed of duck.. but the ones I have had that were raised with other ducks will.. It really depends on the bird..

4. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Oh Crap! [​IMG] I was afraid of that! They are seperate and have been their entire short lives. I was hoping I could pen them together over winter to save on space and electricity on water heaters.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine also won't give a non-muscovy hen a second look. They very much prefer their own girls, so much so that i've had drakes sit with the hens while they were brooding. Mine have all been raised with muscovies though, no other duck breeds.

6. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:How old were they, (the muscovy drakes) before they came into contact with regular duck hens?

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    You can winter them together. Just when you want to breed the scovies put em in a differnt pen.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're usually breeding age. I occasionally bring in a rescued duck and they're not always Muscovy. I learned fast it's best to find them a new home fast as possible because my flock completely ignores the poor things if they're not Muscovy.

Because mine have been raised with chickens though, I caught my "coming of age" drake chasing a hen a couple weeks ago. he got tossed away from her and i havent seen him do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by